How do I quit (turn off) Skype?

This is probably a stupid question, but I can't figure out how to quit Skype on Windows 10. So I usually just kill the process. Any help is appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated June 25, 2019 Views 34,114 Applies to:

Skype for Windows 10 has another component called Skype Host that runs in background to receive IMs and calls.  You can see it in your task manager.  This way the Skype App does not have to be open or on focus to perform such tasks.  If you do not want Skype for Windows 10 to be active to receive IMs and calls you would either change your status to "Do Not Disturb" or sign out of the Skype for Windows 10 App.  You can change your status or sign out of the App by clicking on your profile picture in the lower left pane of the App and selecting those options that appear.

The alternative to this is uninstalling the Skype for Windows 10 App and installing the latest Skype for Windows Desktop release.  I personally leave both installed and sign out of the Skype for Windows 10 App to default to using the Desktop release.  I also sign into Windows 10 locally to avoid any auto-sign in with my Microsoft account by ANY Windows App.

31 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. So I guess it's not possible to quit Skype (desktop version). Kinda weird they removed that functionality. Makes me believe MS want us to forget Skype is running in the background as there is no visible trace of the program (apart from in the task manager).

I'll stick to force closing it. Thanks anyway for your time.

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

There are two processes running when Skype is active: SkypeHost.exe and SkypeApp.exe.

If you just kill SkypeApp.exe and leave SkypeHost running, you'll still be online with the status you set. That means even with the app completely closed and gone, you are still able to receive calls and messages.

If you kill SkypeHost.exe, you'll be offline, but not having tested it, you might have trouble re-starting the SkypeApp.

If you're completely done with Skype Windows, you can go to your settings and set the background tasks to not permit Skype to run in background. And/or you can uninstall the app by right-clicking its icon and selecting "uninstall"

I find the easiest thing to do when I don't want to be disturbed is change my status to "offline" and close the app. I haven't gotten calls in this mode.

The app has made great improvements over the last few months; I wouldn't use it previously, but now I kind of like it. If I keep my tile live I can see if I got messages or calls while I was away. And it's smaller and faster.

I hope this helps.

Mwewe

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Another great MS idea: decapacitate the user - less control, use more resources, bloat,.... incredible.

Well, i had to help myself with these 2 lines: 
taskkill /f /im skypeapp.exe
taskkill /f /im skypehost.exe

in a batch file .bat
to which i have a link on the desktop. 
The developers dont have a clue, that some powerusers want to simple ways to decide what to do with their resources, especially on small computers. We dont need better hardware, we need better software. 
I find it incredibly arrogant somehow to no let the user decide if skype is running int the background or not. If all softwares would do that even 16GB memory wouldnt be sufficient after all. Very sad :( 

179 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

beautiful, wish I had your computer saavy, **** 'em

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Skype for Windows 10 has another component called Skype Host that runs in background to receive IMs and calls.  You can see it in your task manager.  This way the Skype App does not have to be open or on focus to perform such tasks.  If you do not want Skype for Windows 10 to be active to receive IMs and calls you would either change your status to "Do Not Disturb" or sign out of the Skype for Windows 10 App.  You can change your status or sign out of the App by clicking on your profile picture in the lower left pane of the App and selecting those options that appear.

The alternative to this is uninstalling the Skype for Windows 10 App and installing the latest Skype for Windows Desktop release.  I personally leave both installed and sign out of the Skype for Windows 10 App to default to using the Desktop release.  I also sign into Windows 10 locally to avoid any auto-sign in with my Microsoft account by ANY Windows App.

Szeretem, hogy aMicrosoft eldönti, hogy mit gondoljak.... Kimondottan utálom, hogy 6 éves debill kölyöknek nézik a felhasználót, akinek a kezét kell fogni, minden percben.

M ivolna, ha a felhasználóra bíznák, hogy eldöntse: bezárja a skype-ot (teljesen kilép a programból) vagy csak a háttérben futók közé rakja le? Esetleg akkor nem tudnak kémkedni a felhasználó után? (Kicsit paranoiásan hangzik, belátom) 

Ha már felvásárolták ezt a programot, miért nem hagyták meg azt a lehetőséget, hogy én döntsek arról, hogy miként állítom le? Miért kell az alt+ctrl+del gombot használnom, hogy kilőjem? Miért van az, hogy minden frissítés után erőszakosan visszatelepül?

Várom a program felesztők (tönkretevők) válaszát.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

1.  My problem is that I no longer see Skype in my program files.  I want to delete it and add it for desktop use only.  How do I do this?

2.  My contacts who I have seen regularly no longer show they are on.  I know that they are, but....nada

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.