Calling with Skype Directly from Outlook (desktop)

I've Outlook 2016 desktop client.  Prior to the recent Skype 8.25 update, I had configured Outlook (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers, DefaultIMApp = Skype) to call with Skype.  This setting caused Outlook to display my contact phone numbers as hyperlinks, and upon clicking them, Skype would make the call.  Ever since the latest Skype version went in, my hyperlinks disappears from my Outlook contacts.  The registry settings look fine however.  How do I get this functionality back? 

This is not the same as importing my outlook contacts into Skype and then calling from Skype.  I want to call from OUTLOOK.  Thx. 

Moved from: Office Outlook  / Windows 10  / Office 2016

|

Hi, ORBroncoFan

Skype no longer supports the click to call function. However, you mentioned that you recently upgraded Skype to the new Skype version 8.25, which stopped you from continuing this feature. Try if the classic version will work. Here's the downloader link: http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_7.41.0.101.msi

Uninstall the current version you have before downloading the classic version.

Take note that Skype will no longer support the classic version in September 2018.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34841/upgrading-to-the-latest-version-of-skype?q=upgarde

I'll take this as your feedback with the new version of Skype 8.25 to help with the upcoming new Skype updates.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the direction.  I wasn't referring to "Click to Call."  That plugin allowed you to click phone numbers in your browser .  The feature I'm talking about is clicking phone numbers that appear in People/Contacts within the Outlook desktop client.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for clarifying, have you tried the classic version of Skype and see if it would work using that version?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

As I had previously indicated, the issue arose following the latest update.  Using a version you've indicated as EOL by September 2018 is not an option.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, you may try and use it in the meantime, while we take this as your feedback and have this forwarded to our development team to help with the upcoming Skype updates.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem and very much want this capability restored to Skype ASAP.

As suggested here, I uninstalled 8.25 and downloaded the suggested link for Skype Classic (7.41.0.101.msi) but that link now takes me right back into 8.25. Is there another link to Classic that I can use?

I use Microsoft's Skype for my small business desk phone only because I want inter-operability with Microsoft's flagship business support software -- Office.  It is puzzling (baffling, infuriating) as to why you dropped that functionality in 8.25. 

If Microsoft can't fix this I will look for another VOIP service that can do this.

I hope you all can correct this.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Serds_P

Is this really the best Microsoft/Skype has to offer? 

A really main key piece of functionality is broken apart, Skype no longer works as it has been.

Now when we need to call using Skype, we have to open the Outlook Contact, click and copy the desired phone number to be called, go to Skype, open the dial pad, and paste the number to be able to call... this is not good.

Skype is not an IM, is a internet calling software - and it was the Best at it...

Hope you guys revert this back to the way it was before

nacq's beta tester

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

This is noted and taken as a feedback, as well.

Thank you very much for sharing here.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same problem with desktop Skype which we use on a Skype business plan. Spent 1 hour on phone with MS support - very helpful - but outcome is that Skype 8.25 doesn't currently support calling from Outlook Contacts (which is says it does in the help note: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA728/can-i-call-my-microsoft-outlook-contacts-in-skype)

Advice was:

• as above: install classic (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/skype-classic/)
  • upgrade Skype for business part of O365 Business Premium with a calling plan - which is GBP24.10/user/mth (ouch!)
  • wait and see if Skype 8.25 gets upgraded to support Outlook contacts... but as outlined above, as of Sept 1 it will no longer be supported so if it doesn't get fixed and any problems arise then we're stuffed :).

They also advised keeping an eye on known issues in 8.25 here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34713/faq-and-known-issues-with-skype

BUT this doesn't list no outlook contacts  as an issue.

FYI: There is also another forum with this same issue here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_win10-skype_startms-skype_contactms/new-skype-825-contacts-issue/5ae5af73-27da-4d06-99f9-cb1cfdae7193

Either the Skype development team have mucked up on the 8.25 release or it is a move to get everyone using MS calling plans. Who knows?

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a FANTASTIC summary.  At the end of reading this and any comment is a prompt "Did this solve your problem? Yes No;"  While this absolutely describes the issue, the problem persists.  I would answer "Yes" to the topic of fully ensuring that Microsoft has the problem defined, but "No" to Microsoft solving the problem.  Furthermore, in adding to the keen observation that the Skype development team / product owners appear to be moving to get everyone using MS calling plans - I already pay for the calling plan, and I already pay for a Skype number.  I've demonstrated good faith to pay.  What I expect is that Microsoft demonstrates good faith in continuing to provide associated capability.

6 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2021 Views 1,844 Applies to: