Can't see contacts online status after update

Hi,

Since the new Android Skype update, I can't tell if my contacts are online, offline, or away.

I can't believe such an important feature was overlooked. I just send text messages and hope the person is there.

This is even more problematic for calling. I try to call people, but I can't even tell if they are on Skype. It just calls and fails. I keep repeating all day long until it rings and they answer.

Setting my anger aside, that developers would think this is fine and release a build in this state, I find myself here asking if I missed an option or if there is a workaround.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2018 Views 32,062 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You have only 2 status in the new skype and that is 

• Do not desturb
  • Active

and only way to find out the status of the contact is to open the contact one by one no way to see online status in the main page, this online status is atlest 1 or 2 times per page asked alredy. 

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mikael,

Thanks for the answer, but it's not accurate. At least not for my version of Skype.

As you can see in the attached screenshots, there is no way to see the current status of any of my contacts, whether you look at the general contacts list or you open the chat window of a contact.

I maintain that this is an unbelievable oversight from Skype developers and I wish I could give up on this horrible app - but there are no mainstream alternatives.

In that contact window, it says "Last seen days ago" and that's not even accurate, I just spoke with that person (and they don't use "appear offline" or whatever it's called, they just use "online" or "away", usually).

So, I can't tell whether they are online or offline, I write messages and hope they are there, I call and hope it rings (if they are offline, it stops ringing very fast).

Terrible design.

71 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Additional info:

It seems to be a bug more than a lack of feature, after all. It's accurate for some contacts, not accurate for others.

Regardless, it's stupid to remove the online status from the main contacts window.

Have a great weekend!

56 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to rollback to a earlier version by uninstalling the newest one and installing (sideloading) it from the Amazon Underground app store. It's not ideal, especially as it requires lowering your security settings, but for me (international contacts), seeing when people are online is a deal breaker.

40 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Note that the POS update keeps reinstalling itself unless you go into the google play store, search for Skype, press the 3 dots on the top right corner, and disable auto-updates.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

They have change in some patch update and the new info only say like this. 

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that users would like to see which contacts are online or not. Currently you can see there status in your chat window, learn more. We are actively working on this scenario. Thank you for your patience in the interim, stay tuned for an update.

So some i understand it is that they working with new way to set and see the online status in the new skype and is just now not active but i guess is come in some new update we can just hopes we dont need to wait to long. 

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I concur. The new Skype is catastrophically bad. Stop trying to be some cheap snapshat knock off and just be Skype for god sake.

101 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This downgrade with a higher version number is utterly catastrophic.  This comment by Mike Harris from elsewhere in the Android forum needs repeating ad nauseam until Microsoft realise the error of their ways with the updates across a number of Skype versions that have led to such justified and widespread outrage, and I guess many lost customers for Microsoft & Skype:

"This is NOT a game. 

It is insufficient to simply and hollowly request patience while you hobble my critical service and business. Perhaps I can have more patience if you send me a phone that I can call on, and reimburse me for lost time and loss of income while you toy with this important application. Of course I am sure there is no hope of that. 

Of course evolving and migrating services is a part of the business and I realise that. That said, when MS acquired Skype, they moved into the telephone business and that is NOT something that you just screw around with and for frivolous stuff like adding colours, graphics, etc whilst losing functionality. 

Testing and trialing of these new features and designs should not be tested in the wild, but should be an option within a control group that has elected to test it, and can easy roll it back if they need to. This was NOT the case for this latest installment of technicolour dung. 

This counsel should not need to come from me. A company such as MS should have sufficient talent and experience to know and understand these things. 
If you are serious about making skype a serious platform for paying customers (like me) to use as an alternative to traditional phone service models, then you need to treat it like a serious alternative. 
Sure if after the bulletproof and perfected mechanics of an intuitive, conventional phone interface are absolutely perfected, and you want to roll out some skins, colours, and bells and whistles as an OVERLAY, yes, that is fine. But to fundamentally change the nuts and bolts of a functioning app and CRITICAL application, just so you can pimp it and migrate it to the cloud, illustrates a fundamental lapse, or woeful misunderstanding of the business you entered into when Skype was acquired. 

Kindly employ some people that understand the telecommunications business (like me for example), so that you might attract and retain customers, pilot new cosmetics ONLY WHEN THE MECHANICS HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY PERFECTED, and only trial, roll out new builds to those that are interested and make it easy to roll back to the previous version if the new version is not suitable. "

107 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using windows 10 on laptop, not only can't I see whether my contacts are online, but I'm not receiving my messages. How can I get back my old skype for pc!!!!!  The new skype also won't go in my system tray, or turn itself on, I have it on my startup menu.  It only rings only on windows 7 pc and not my windows 10 laptop.  MICROSOFT SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO RELEASE SUCH A TERRIBLE APP,  SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

78 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The new Skype app is so bad. Sometimes I feel that Microsoft is doing it on purpose to kill it. It was the best app which I used on daily basis and now I hate every moment of using it and I wish that all my remaing contacts who still use Skype switch to another app that's more reliable and more human oriented them Skype. I hope someone from the upper management at Skype team will read all the messages from upset users and finally do something about it... 

77 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.