Thank you to every Skype user that has taken time to share feedback with us. Your opinion matters deeply and helps drive our priorities forward. We are committed to making Skype the best and most powerful communication platform out there for connecting work groups, families, friends and classrooms around the world.
Calling, Messaging and Sign-in improvements are the top priority
Calling and messaging are the foundation of Skype. We believe every single call and message must be reliable and performant, as these are your lifelines to family, friends and co-workers throughout the day. Guided by customer feedback, we continually investigate reported issues in the fundamental areas to ensure:
- Sign in is simple and it’s okay if you forget your password. We’ll help you sign back in!
- Calls are clear and the video flawless, whether there are 2 or 20 people on the call.
- Messages send quickly and reliably, wherever you are.
- It is easy to manage your contacts; the ones you want to keep around and those you want to block.
Continued focus on a few key features missing from the new Skype
There were few key features we did not finish adding to new Skype (version 8+) in time for the larger product rollouts. We are committed to bring the following features to the new Skype and will provide status updates along the way.
- Split window view for Skype on Windows 10, so you can see multiple chat windows at the same time
- Changing the font size in a chat
- Search for a message within a chat
- Status improvements – how others see your online status
- Privacy settings (call contact configurations) – more controls regarding who can call you
- Making it easier to add a phone number as a contact
While the majority of our focus is on fundamentals and missing features, we’ve started rolling out a few highly requested features. One example is call recording functionality, which has been a very common ask from work groups, as well as teachers conducting Skype in Classroom sessions. In addition, this past week we were excited to start rolling out SMS Connect to Insiders. SMS Connect will let you read and reply to Android SMS messages from your PC. This has been a long-awaited feature by many. We’ll first gather feedback from Insiders, then roll out the feature broadly to everyone.
What are the best ways to provide Skype feedback?
We love customer feedback! Feedback is used to guide every release of Skype, here are some of the core feedback channels to Skype:
- Skype Settings, via the Help & Feedback menu
- Give feedback
- Report a problem
- Suggest a feature
- Join the Discussion on Skype Community
- Skype UserVoice – Share. Vote. Discuss ideas
- Want early access to builds? Become a Skype Insider
As we provide features and fixes requested through customer feedback, we’ll update our Release Notes to communicate the details.
The Skype Team