Keychain Not Playing Nice with Skype

My computer runs macOS 10.12.6, and has Skype 8.11. 

Skype loads and runs correctly, but Keychain doesn't give me the option to memorize and recall my login or my password. I can enter them manually, but would prefer not to do so.

I started by deleting Skype and its associated files, then re-downloading it. Skype again loads and runs correctly. Using Keychain Access to look into the Keychain, I see a "Skype" entry, but this entry doesn't allow access to the password as easily as other Keychain entries do. I click on the entry, and the "Attributes" box is displayed. But then: 

a) when I tick the "Show Password" box, the box remains unchecked;

b) the computer displays the rotating rainbow cursor;

c) I have to enter the computer's login password at least twice; and

d) the password finally displayed is "e" and not the password I'd used to log in to Skype. I then deleted the Keychain entry, quit Keychain Access, restarted the computer, and began the process again to reveal the password. I had the same odd result the second time. I tried manually entering my password into the Attributes box; it saved the password, but even after a restart Keychain did not offer the password at Skype login.

Interestingly, Keychain operates correctly when I log into Microsoft's "Sign In to Your Microsoft Account" page.

What might I try next?

Thanks!

David

Hi!

Can you check in Skype > Check for updates if you have the latest version?

About the password: You don't have to use the Keychain or else to stay logged in in the New Skype. Just go to Skype > Preferences  and activate "On close, keep Skype running". This way you'll be always logged in, unless you log out. Afterwards you'll have to type your password again. And you may be required to enter your login keychain password.

But you won't be able to see your password using the keychain. If you don't remember it you'll have to create a new one. Also, please keep your profile info up-to-date, specially your primary email address.

--
Si encuentras la respuesta que buscas, por favor pulsa "Sí" al lado de "¿Se solucionó su problema?"

--
If an answer helps you, please click Yes beside "Did this solve your problem?"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, Carola.

Skype was redownloaded yesterday. It's 8.11.0.4, and says it's the latest version available.

I'm not eager to leave unused applications running, so I prefer to log out. I take from your answer that New Skype deliberately prevents the convenience of Keychain password management. That's certainly Microsoft's choice - it is their software - but it's disappointing.

Thanks for letting me know.

-David

(I didn't rate your response with the stars: while you were prompt, cordial, and informative, the meat of the answer was "can't be done." That was not terribly satisfying.)

But see my later Reply, indicating that after a few quit-and-restart combos, Keychain's working and logs me in to Skype seamlessly. The star ratings can't be addressed now, but if they could, I'd now give five.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Carola,

I apologize, I spoke too soon.

I just now logged in and out of Skype a few times, and voilà! Keychain apparently talks with Skype, and now logs me in seamlessly.

Now it's five stars. I'll go back and see if I can edit my previous response.

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Im glad it works for you now! That is what matters most :-)

Cheers!

--
Si encuentras la respuesta que buscas, por favor pulsa "Sí" al lado de "¿Se solucionó su problema?"

--
If an answer helps you, please click Yes beside "Did this solve your problem?"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2021 Views 2,764 Applies to: