New Skype is simply the worst "upgrade" I've ever seen from a software company.

New Skype is absolutely horrible.

• No screen sharing.
  • No SMS.
  • Search is useless.
  • Old message history is gone.
  • No way to configure most of the settings, stored history, etc.
  • It uses Electron, a 120MB package which is based on Chrome, so:
    • Massive memory use (439MB, which grows while idle (memory leak?), for Skype Helper, 89.5MB for Skype, so over 500MB of RAM for a chat program).
    • Massive updates every time.
    • Slower performance.
  • Ugly themes.
  • Rating screen almost EVERY time I finish a call.  This is the only "feature" of the Old Skype I would be happy to see removed!

There are many other problems with it... it's an utter mess, and a real shame.  The mobile version is equally as poor, and most of the time I don't even get notified when someone messages me.

I think it's time to push people to move to other platforms, as it seems the Skype Team have lost the plot completely.  You don't create a "new" version of an app and take away half of what made the old app powerful and useful!

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It is worth reposting this from other parts of the forum:

Skype is on the verge of joining this sad list:

"I cannot for the life of me understand what it is about Microsoft.... 

You buy up successful companies, and then "improve the user experience" to the point where the end result is unusable and loathed by most users. Worse, you keep doing it, and not learning from mistakes.

You bought Multimap in the UK and changed it to Bing Maps.... every update made it worse than it was.

You bought Nokia, and installed Windows on their phones, and destroyed their business in the process putting thousands out of a job.

You changed Hotmail into Outlook, and the latest Windows version is so slow and unresponsive it is verging on unuseable.

You bought Skype, and keep tampering... it wasn't broken, so there was no need to fix it. The latest update on Android is by far the worst software I have ever used On my Samsung Galaxy S5, you have turned using the keyboard into a horrid experience. The characters typed lag behind significantly, and the vibrate that goes with a key down lags too. I didn't ask for messages from another to be coloured blue with white type...and all the other idiot ideas you have included.

There is an old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Microsoft should stop tampering with things... a bad reputation is often made worse, and I'm getting fed up to the back teeth of it."

To which we should at least add the debacle of the Zune player & Windows phone within Microsoft’s own portfolio.

118 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Hello,

• No screen sharing.
  • No SMS.

Screen sharing and sending SMS message is available using the new Skype on Mac.

SCREEN SHARING

• Start a voice or video call with a single person or a group.
  • During the call, wait for the other end to answer the call.
  • Once answered, click on the plus icon.
  • Choose Share screen.

SENDING SMS MESSAGE

To send an SMS text message, first you need to have a little Skype Credit. You can then send an SMS text message to any contact with a saved phone number.  Click here.

• Search is useless

Kindly specify the issue you're experiencing with the Search option.

Only the last 30 days of conversations will be moved as you update Skype. Old conversations will not be carried over.

For other issues, you can download classic Skype on Mac v7.59 following below steps:

• Go to www.skype.com
  • Click on Downloads tab.
  • From the blue drop-down button, select Get classic Skype.

We respect your feedback regarding the new Skype version on Mac. Rest assured that your comments and suggestions will be endorsed to our developers for review.

Thank you! Let us know if you need further assistance.

Susan_S.
Skype Community Moderator

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Only the last 30 days of conversations will be moved as you update Skype. Old conversations will not be carried over.

For other issues, you can download classic Skype on Mac v7.59 following below steps:

• Go to www.skype.com

We respect your feedback regarding the new Skype version on Mac. Rest assured that your comments and suggestions will be endorsed to our developers for review.

Thank you! Let us know if you need further assistance.

This is a serious design flaw, a gross incompetence / negligence clearly displaying Microsoft's very deeply flawed understanding of how the Skype user base uses Skype, in addition to the flood of complaints that Microsoft have frequently hidden by deleting or reorganising the community forum to hide the dissent at Microsoft's completely flawed understanding of how the application is used, making this comment so very deeply flawed: "We respect your feedback regarding the new Skype version on Mac. Rest assured that your comments and suggestions will be endorsed to our developers for review.".  Unless review means looked at then ignored as Microsoft seem to with almost all feedback as clearly demonstrated by the many parts of the forum full of dissent that Microsoft have hidden by forum deletion or reorganisation.  There are versions of Skype that still only have maybe 10% of their pre Microsoft reliability and functionality after years of Microsoft 'development'.

Downloaded Classic Skype 7.59 (37) last night.  The application opens in a window labelled Skype with the usual Apple Skype menus at the top of the screen, however the contents of that window are only the Microsoft account, there is no access to any Skype functions even though in one of the obscure information locations the Skype log in is confirmed, the functional contents of the Apple Skype menus are all greyed out and inoperative...

The most serious flaw in design policy and application here:  

There are many long distance relationships dependent just on Skype to maintain contact, both romantic and family as well as business.  When circumstances permit the distant partner in an international relationship to apply for a Visa to join their partner, the extended contact history is a critically important part of the Visa application, with applications failing (for a good friend here for example) if there is insufficient record of continued regular contact for the duration of the long distance part of their relationship.  As a consequence there are many who have spent enormous quantities of time taking chat history screenshots and then merging them into a call history (a task that Word fails at as in all the versions I have used it takes only a few (8?) photos for the Word file to irretrievably delete all the formatting) to demonstrate the continued contact during the long distance part of their relationship.  As these Skype updates can be applied without notice, Microsoft are therefore surreptitiously deleting critical data for the expensive Visa applications to bring couples in long distance relationships together in addition to the omission of accessing the call history in a file exported from the application that can be read by widely available applications such as a pdf.  In my case I am looking at assembling a call history from at least 10-15 000 screenshots across a number of devices, probably significantly more.

Microsoft have clearly not understood how Skype can be a critical application in maintaining communication in a variety of settings.  This is amply illustrated by a well expressed description of Microsoft's serious flaws in the management of an application that prior to their interest had a massive and dedicated user base as the application in it's pre Microsoft versions offered such a useful and reliable communication tool, worth reposting here as so very relevant to this very serious issue affecting a large number of people:

Mark Harris has posted a concise summery of how anyone with responsible development experience, or responsible company management would view the path Microsoft has taken, and bears posting ad nauseam until Microsoft understand the error of their ways, maybe even firmly attach this to every developer’s screen in large font?

This is NOT a game. 

It is insufficient to simply and hollowly request patience while you hobble my critical service and business. Perhaps I can have more patience if you send me a phone that I can call on, and reimburse me for lost time and loss of income while you toy with this important application. Of course I am sure there is no hope of that. 

Of course evolving and migrating services is a part of the business and I realise that. That said, when MS acquired Skype, they moved into the telephone business and that is NOT something that you just screw around with and for frivolous stuff like adding colours, graphics, etc whilst losing functionality. 

Testing and trialing of these new features and designs should not be tested in the wild, but should be an option within a control group that has elected to test it, and can easy roll it back if they need to. This was NOT the case for this latest instalment of technicolour dung. 

This counsel should not need to come from me. A company such as MS should have sufficient talent and experience to know and understand these things. 

If you are serious about making Skype a serious platform for paying customers (like me) to use as an alternative to traditional phone service models, then you need to treat it like a serious alternative. 

Sure if after the bulletproof and perfected mechanics of an intuitive, conventional phone interface are absolutely perfected, and you want to roll out some skins, colours, and bells and whistles as an OVERLAY, yes, that is fine. But to fundamentally change the nuts and bolts of a functioning app and CRITICAL application, just so you can pimp it and migrate it to the cloud, illustrates a fundamental lapse, or woeful misunderstanding of the business you entered into when Skype was acquired. 

Kindly employ some people that understand the telecommunications business (like me for example), so that you might attract and retain customers, pilot new cosmetics ONLY WHEN THE MECHANICS HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY PERFECTED, and only trial, roll out new builds to those that are interested and make it easy to roll back to the previous version if the new version is not suitable.

54 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

• Go to www.skype.com

Please provide the source code for the classic Skype and needed server software so the community can continue to support it

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to disagree with Susan_S.  The new upgrade for Skype for Mac is total junk.  Doesn't interface with Mac contacts, stripped out features, most of the preferences eliminated, generally a huge downgrade.  Instead of focusing on what Skype users typically do (make calls and occasional messaging), this app seems to be morphing into a "one size fits none" communications app.

This new version was so dreadful I downgraded back to 7.59 (and I regret that it took me as long as it did to figure out that I could still download the older version).

From the Microsoft reply, it's apparent that Microsoft just doesn't get it.  The KISS principle applies (Keep it Simple Stupid).

Maybe have your crack developers do a quick check of how many people are downloading classic Skype.

You are doing to this product what Intuit did to the Mac version of Quicken - pretty much killed it.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I tried to follow your instructions, and once in the skype page, it does say

Get Skype for Mac...

Thats the only download ?

Where does it say  Get Classic Skype ?

Because I am not seeing a blue drop down on my Macbook Pro

As mentioned in my post before, I am not getting  " New message Notification "

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Skype Classic for Mac is far far better

The consequences of Microsoft meddling with the Skype interface across all platforms is pretty obvious today...

Have gone from spending in excess of 2 hours everyday on Skype active calls, to about 2 minutes on Skype calls in the last month, the number of contacts online has dropped from always needing to scroll quite a bit down the contacts list on a 20" screen to get to the bottom of the green online contacts list pre Microsoft's meddling with the user interface, to one person online in the last few logins!  There were a few contacts more shown as away, but that hardly reached down the screen to any extent.  Most of the contacts were online with Skype on their phones were the biggest UI degradation has taken place.

Skype's Medusa touch has nearly killed Skype, such a shame that Apple did not apply their Midas touch, but then Apple already had FaceTime...  Will not delete my accounts as have not finished the exceedingly long & tedious (especially now everything is so space wasting it is taking about 4 times longer than before) process of creating a call history.

The other sad funny is that in my private accounts I am getting messages that my prime contact is missing me, & suggesting chat with her... ... ...  No she is not, she deleted Skype from her phone's & tablet (iOS & Android) because the user interface now is so horrible and we are video chatting on Facebook Messenger & Viber

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello PeterJChandler,

Thank you for your valuable review on the Skype application. Rest assured that this will be relayed to our developers.

Best regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

New Skype is not great!  I can't stand the slower performance.  Its 2018. Let's get with the times Skype!  Technology advances not regresses!

When I text on skype it is beyond slow to type along with me.  QUITE ANNOYING

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 5,442 Applies to: