Skype 4.3 will stop working after July 1, 2017

From the download page:

Important notice: All Skype for Linux clients version 4.3 and older will be retired on July 1, 2017. To keep chatting, please install the latest version of Skype for Linux.

Since Skype has basically become a web based instant messenger I'll be replacing it with Wire and Telegram.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

From the download page:

Important notice: All Skype for Linux clients version 4.3 and older will be retired on July 1, 2017. To keep chatting, please install the latest version of Skype for Linux.

Since Skype has basically become a web based instant messenger I'll be replacing it with Wire and Telegram.

July 1st?  Mine is ALREADY not working.  

Linux Mint 17 32-BIT

V. 4.3.0.37

I have downloaded the DEB package but it won't install because my machine is 32-bit.

WHAT in the ACTUAL HECK is going on?  I have been a PAYING, SKYPE # USER for >5 years, 4 of them ON LINUX!  Now I HAVE TO go and but a new computer?  THAT sounds pretty DOGGONE CAVALIER, don't you think?

I have DEFENDED Skype over and over and over in the "Skype for LiNUX" forum.  

I think THAT era just ended!

• No message searching (history)
  • No video calls
  • Periodic freezes on incoming calls
  • Web version for desktop 
  • Can't rename a contact
Okay, let's close 4.3 version
I sure hope not. To end a working client on the benefit of a non mature beta version is completely stupid. First make sure the 5.x branche works like it should, then and only then think of ending the   4.3 support

The beta is no where near ready:

screen shares requested again and again on the forum,

auto answer,

separate chat message window,

Skype volume control as Mac Skype has for example,

plus still many complaints that Skype is not functioning yet...

Once you click on "start new conversation", you have lost the video call...  see either the call, or the chat messages, not both which is a real pain as most of my calls are in another account where there will be 2 or 3 chat conversations with other Skype contacts, simultaneously with the video call...

Whilst understanding that older versions need to be retired at the end of their lives, everyone else ensures that the replacement version offers more than the retiring version for a better user experience, however, here the move will be a  retrograde step, functions I use all the time will be unavailable on the Linux Skype.

Perhaps this does indicate Microsoft's bullying nature, with little consideration for it's users, a complaint widely shared, and possibly one of the main reasons there are many Linux users, certainly this action will redouble my efforts to move my few remaining friends on Windows away to Linux or Mac.  Certainly when Microsoft retired the ,last version, there were many who were left without a service, with some having strong grounds of litigation!

On weak connections there are two very different responses in Linux Skype:

v 4.3 with separate chat window allows continued contact by chat messages, until there is enough bandwidth for a video call, then the call is pixelated in very weak connection calls (spend hours in Skype accounts for different contact groups making calls to computers on weak wifi connections every day).  The separate chat window also enables chat conversations with other Skype accounts without disrupting the video call, something I do for sustained periods every day.

Beta v 5.3 on a weak connection shows the spinning trying to connect sign, this does not permit video call or contact by chat message, hence v 5.3 does not permit any form of contact at all with computers on a very weak connection, effectively useless.

This is a major bug as there are significant parts of the world, most of South East Asia for example, where there is no landline infrastructure, but many many cellphone users with weak 2g / 3g connections on Facebook & Facebook Messenger (calls run by Skype), that would love to make Skype calls (pretty well all of the friends I have in that region for example).  This is not an economically strong region so Linux's light cpu loads offering acceptable computing on elderly computers long long after they were able to run a supported version of Windows OS is very helpful to those millions of people.  Skype v 5.3's response to weak connection is therefore a major bug

This decision constitutes abuse of paying customers. I will find it extremely difficult to switch my Xubuntu 17.04 installation to the AMD 64 version, I am running the generic X86 version on an AMD64 machine. My phone, which I cannot afford to replace at the moment, runs Android 6.0.1; my tablet, which is also not going to be replaced right now, runs Android 5.0.2.
Skype essentially wants to force me to upgrade all my hardware.
I want my Skype credit of $6.94 US to be refunded. Goodbye Skype, go to heck Microsoft.
Video calls work only between new clients because the old one does not support the cloud (this is indicated in the support). And about the closure of the old version on the new beta status will be removed, although who knows, many developers first write about the closure, and then postpone the deadline!

Lets hope you are right about deadline postponement...  v 5.3 still has a very long way to go...  

One big problem is that v 5.3 only occasionally connects video on a weak wifi call at the other end, it occasionally connects but does not sustain the call whereas v 4.3 sustains the video call on the same connection.  So the video call failing is not a cloud issue, but an incomplete software installation, in keeping with the Microsoft habit of pushing out incomplete software and then waiting for the user community to highlight the bugs that need fixing

Edit as unable to add new posts to this thread, does not bode well that Microsoft is unable to keep a forum, one of the most widely used user participation webspace online, billions & billions of forum thread pages working well all over the web...  Or is this Microsoft pretending to listen to users?  The post wanted to add:

Still unable to reply in some threads, this I strongly believe is a really important point that shows clearly it is far far too early to retire the stable Linux Skype version 4.3:

Beta 5.3 is a very long way from ready to take over from the stable version 4.3.  One example that makes it not possible for me to use Beta 5.3 (have tried quite a bit), whereas stable version 4.3 is working fine, is that on weak connections the two very different responses in Linux Skype show how far Beta 5.3 has to go before ready for general use:

v 4.3 with separate chat window allows continued contact by chat messages, until there is enough bandwidth for a call, then the video call is pixelated in very weak connection calls (spend hours in Skype accounts for different contact groups making calls to computers on weak wifi connections every day).  The separate chat window also enables chat conversations with other Skype accounts without disrupting the video call, something I do for sustained periods every day.

Beta v 5.3 on a weak connection shows the spinning trying to connect sign, this does not permit: 

any audio or video call, 

terminating the call,

or contact by chat message, 

hence v 5.3 does not permit any form of contact at all with computers on a very weak connection, effectively useless.

Pretty sure that almost every Skype user would prefer a pixelated video call & chat messaging to a spinning logo trying to connect that does not enable any communication at all!  This is a major bug as there are significant parts of the world, most of South East Asia for example, where there is no landline infrastructure, but many many cellphone users with weak 2g / 3g connections on Facebook & Facebook Messenger (calls run by Skype), that would love to make Skype calls (pretty well all of the friends I have in that region for example), many of those people have friends & family working in distant parts of the world where traditional telecoms is prohibitively expensive.  This is not an economically strong region so Linux's light cpu loads offering acceptable computing on elderly computers long long after they were unable to run a supported version of Windows OS is very helpful to those millions of people.  Skype v 5.3's response to weak connection is therefore a major bug

Probably if to compare with the client on Windows, it such regularity from two to three builds to let out monthly in order to treat new bugs, but the subject not about it and we already offtopic))

As I mentioned, the functionality of mine dropped off.  First, it stopped ringing, but I still got the "missed call" and "voice message" pop-ups.  Then, it was impossible to hear the voice msg.  Then, it would dial a number but have no audio to the called party.  Now, it just sits there.

July 1?  Not on MY machine.

Skype has a HISTORY of releasing non-beta'd "updates"  I ALWAYS have a backup of whatever version I'm using, (Lx or W), because it was a regular occurrence for it to FAIL after "most" updates/grades.  

This isn't just those of us who use Lx, either.  They're retiring anyone, (STILL?), using RT as well as W8x, W10 and most W-phones.

Discussion Info

Last updated March 28, 2020 Views 3,941 Applies to: