Discussion

Skype Is Now Available as SNAP

Skype is now available to Linux users as SNAP package, which will make installation and updates on many Linux distributions way easier.

Feel free to install it from the Snap Store or by running the following command in your terminal*:

snap install --classic skype

*In order to install Snap packages, you will need the snapd installed first. Here is how: https://docs.snapcraft.io/core/install

Skype Preview for Insiders is also available.

By installing this application you agree you have read and accepted Terms of Use and Privacy Statement.Install it with:

snap install --channel=insider/stable --classic skype 

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

The Skype Team

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

So far Snap is great. The version of Skype that gets installed is just as non-functional as the previous non-Snap version. I'm getting a segfault and then the good old blank window that seems to come back about every other new release. I'm currently running 8.10.0.4, which at least runs on my Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon.

It would be really nice if the version number could be displayed on the download site with each new version.

I switched to the snap from the repo version, and it shows all black for my Microsoft web cam. I don't remember if it worked in the repo version of Skype (which was the same version: 8.14.0.10), but it works in Cheese.

$ snap --version
snap    2.30
snapd   2.30
series  16
ubuntu  16.04
kernel  4.4.0-112-generic

$ snap info skype
name:      skype
snap-id: QRDEfjn4WJYnm0FzDKwqqRZZI77awQEV
commands:
installed:           8.14.0.10 (9) 159MB classic

Hi,

Nice idea!

Observation: Only worked after classic deb remove first for me.

Working fine here :-)

Thanks!

Hi,

Nice idea!

Observation: Only worked after classic deb remove first for me.

Working fine here :-)

Thanks!

My system info:

snap    2.30
snapd   2.30
series  16
ubuntu  18.04
kernel  4.14.0-3-generic

---
System:    Host: wellington-Inspiron-3647 Kernel: 4.14.0-3-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1)
           Distro: Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (development branch)
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Dell product: Inspiron 3647 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Dell model: 02YRK5 v: A03 serial: N/A UEFI: Dell v: A04 date: 04/03/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-4440S (-MCP-) speed/max: 2793/3300 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.5 ) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz, 1440x900@74.98hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop version: 4.5 Mesa 17.3.3
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
           Card-3: Atheros
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (75.1% used)
Info:      Processes: 355 Uptime: 23:05 Memory: 11147.4/15833.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56
---
Linux wellington-Inspiron-3647 4.14.0-3-generic #4-Ubuntu SMP Mon Oct 23 19:42:04 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It's all working, only the automatic start when starting the system that does not. I have already activated and disabled the option several times but nothing to start automatically.

Hello,

would you please help us pinpointing where is the issue? Could you install the latest DEB version on your machine to see if it behaves the same, or if we need to check the SNAP packaging?

The latest version is 8.15.0.4, released today: https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux_8.15.0.4_amd64.deb

Thank you very much,

JonasT

Hello Eduardo,

thank you for raising this. Snap has currently an issue with the autostart due to the application containment. It is reported and should be solved soon.

However, in the meantime, please create a file 

~/.config/autostart/skype.desktop

and save the following into it:

[Desktop Entry]

Name=Skype for Linux

Exec=skype

Terminal=false

Type=Application

StartupNotify=false

X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

Hope it helps,

Kind regards,

JonasT

I removed the snap and reinstalled from the repo.

Apparently the Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000 video is black in that version, too.

Reconfirmed that camera is still working in Cheese.

https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Cheese

I have now removed the deb package and switched back to the snap.

Thank you for confirmation.

We are now investigating issues with device detection, so it may be related. At least it is not coming from Snap itself.

Stay tuned,

Kind regards,

JonasT

Unfortunately the Snap is no progress for me (Ubuntu 16.04). All 3 of my webcams (Logitech V-UM14, Vimicro ZC0301, Microsoft LifeCam VX-6000) stopped to work with one of last year's updates and no version has revived them since, including the current snap and the preview snap. Everything works but the video; why use Skype if not for the video? Really disappointing...

Michael

Discussion Info

Views: 1,918 Last updated: May 18, 2018 Applies to: