Approach MS has with Skype

Caveat to this post: I know Skype-Lite exists, but it can't believe it is used by anyone on a consistent basis and I prefer better spelling. We should kill Skype-lite, in favour of the below.

Many of us who use Skype for professional purposes have felt the blow MS has inflicted upon us across multiple platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android/IOS). They attempted to muscle-in on the well established Facebook and Snapchat world. This is very late in the game to do so, and reeks of the Windows Mobile fiasco.

So, why don't Microsoft continue the experiment on the Snapchat front with Skype-Light. Skype for business is in place and so far doing well. Make a "Skype-Pro", for users like us, who have subscriptions and use Skype professionally. I might be willing to pay an extra buck or two on my subscription to get Skype for Linux 4.3 resurrected, functional and supported. Once supported again, have it evolve in a normal software evolution process (not the idiocy that came with 5.4.0.1), with insiders testing features, feature polls, and UI recommendations.

Many people claimed to intensely dislike Skype for Linux 4.3 since it "looked old". But on a professional level, this was rock-solid and did the job it was supposed to do. And it did it WELL. If you want Snapchat, download Skype-Light. Otherwise, pay the subscription and get Skype-Pro. This should appeal to the MS accountants and "businessmen/women".

Can we also get rid of that stupid Sine Wave that slows down my phone? I much prefer the original Skype logo. Was that the recommendation from a user poll, or a mandate from MS? Maybe I am in the minority if that was a user poll, but incoming calls are slow to answer because if it.

How many here would support such a concept?

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello JSV_450,

Welcome to Skype Community!

Do you happen to have issue with Skype for Linux? Have you tried the Skype for Linux beta version?

Download Linux DEB

Download Linux RPM

What are the system requirements for Skype?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you!

Susan_S.
Skype Community Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Yes, you might say I have an issue with Skype for Linux 5.4.0.1. The entire rant, above, was about that. The issues I have are numerous and detailed. Suffice to say the the Skype for Linux 5.4.0.1 Beta, is really pre-alpha and really does not work. Yes, you can chat/text. But that is about all. The functionality, quality and reliability we depend upon and had with Skype for Linux 4.3 simply disappeared. If you can get 5.4.x.x working as well as 4.3 was, I would be happy. But things like CPU consumption and reliability are likely rooted in the electron/chromium architecture currently used. I would much rather see 4.3 reinstated, for business use (return of peer-to-peer).

Note that there might be some folks who truly like the way 5.4.0.1 looks and feels and operates (I can't see how). It is a social media product now, and not a communications product. Therefore, I should go elsewhere. That is easier said than done, when you have a subscription, a long-standing Skype telephone number and rely on it for business. Getting a new number to all stakeholders in an undertaking that is unanticipated effort and costs dearly. I have a 3 month plan to do so (until my current subscription expires), because I now have to. But I would rather not.

If this was handled properly, and a full-function product replaced the old reliable tool, we would be good. But MS decided to disable the functioning Skype program and put a non-functioning product in it's place. The way Windows 10 was handled and rolled out should have been the way Skype was done.

I would support a Skype-Pro, as stated above, and even pay for it through my subscription if that is the only way to get an operational communications tool.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello JSV_450,

Thank you for getting back to us.

I strongly recommend you to contact our chat support so we can make an investigation and collate necessary information from you.

Please check your inbox, I'll send you a private message.

Thank you!

Susan_S.
Skype Community Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 78 Applies to: