Skype iOs backup and restore

I use Skype on my iPhone and I backup my iPhone to iTunes on my Windows 10 PC.  I have attempted to restore my full backup to a new iPhone and everything (all other apps) other than my Skype history / messages are restored to the new iPhone.  I get a few Skype history/message items on the new iPhone and I think those are messages over the last 30 days from the Skype cloud, but does not recover/restore the entire history/messages I have on my original iPhone.  Has anyone come across this problem and do you have a solution?

Note, my iPhone OS, Windows OS, Skype iOS and Skype windows are upgraded to the latest versions

(I will also note that the auto upgrade of Skype on my Windows 10 seems to have caused a loss of some of my Skype history from Skype on Windows - but that seems to be an unrelated problem, because it is my existing iPhone with all Skype history/messages available that I am seeking to backup to iTunes and then restore to my new iPhone).

Thank you in advance

Hi,

Conversation history on Computer device is locally saved on the hard drive depends on the settings on the Skype app. Skype on mobile device doesn’t have that option to store the conversation history on the device, only the last 30 days of the conversation history is saved on the cloud which you can access it on other device as well.

Thanks.

Van_M
Skype Community Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your reply Van_M, unfortunately your reply is not completely correct hence my question and my desire to contact skype developers (which I am unable to do).

you are correct that history is kept on the computer (depending on settings) and for 30 days on the cloud, etc.

however I have history (texts, photos, videos, call history) on my iPhone going back to 2014 and it is all available and accessible to read right now, however I am unable to backup and restore onto a replacement iPhone and it is this problem I am seeking a solution for.  

My current iPhone needs to be repaired / replaced, my PC does not have access to all of this history, and I have legal reasons to keep this history - hence my need to find a solution.

appreciate any other advice or some way in which to get this chain sent to Skype developers for a response.  I have spent a fair amount of time with Apple technical support and they have concluded that issue with the restore sits with the Skype iOS app developer.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 8, 2023 Views 1,091 Applies to: