We've heard your feedback & have made some changes!

Hello Skype Insiders! 

We heard your feedback and have taken a step back to simplify Skype. With this approach you'll see that we've removed the Highlights feature. We now have very focused navigation with Chats, Calls, and Contacts, making it even easier for you to engage on Skype. Your previously posted Highlights will be available for you to view or download until Sept. 30th, 2018 via Settings. 

You’ll also see we’ve redesigned how to add a reaction to a message, a new layout for reaction summary, as well as a new message forwarding experience. 

Take a look, test out these changes and let us know what you think!

Thank you for sending us your feedback, we are listening and taking action!

The Skype Team

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

To bad for highlights. But I know people weren't using it  

I assume you're talking about 8.29.76.46?

In what material way has the "reaction" feature changed, simply how they're added?!  The main complaint about it that I know is that it presents a smiley on every single incoming message, with no way to stop it. And if that's now solved, I don't see how, unless you're talking about a later version.

On the broader mission of your new effort to simplify Skype, I wasn't aware that was an issue either. It's not that it's complicated now, it's just poorly done and missing a slew of features. I'm not sure that starting there and simplifying even more is the right direction, since you can't do that and add important features.

If it means eliminating new features no one wants, then I get that.

Simplifying Skype is a good approach! I just hope you'll make one more step back & bring back the SMS Relay function for Windows 10 phones in Skype UWP v.14, to at least, December, 10 ,2019, when is the actual end of support for Windows 10 phones.
Have A Nice Day!

Can you describe in what way you find modern Skype to be complicated?  Is complexity modern Skype's issue?  I've never heard that before.

It might feel alien, due to it being diametrically different from the Skype that we know and love, but that's not the same thing.

Hi, new skype is good, better, more easily but still slowly.  And display doesn't show incomming message, also LED notification doesn't work. Huawei p9 lite. 

Can you describe in what way you find modern Skype to be complicated?  Is complexity modern Skype's issue?  I've never heard that before.

It might feel alien, due to it being diametrically different from the Skype that we know and love, but that's not the same thing.

I am sorry for the late response. I actually thought this post was for the UWP version, since I got an update just before the announcement tweet. Hence my comment on the removal of the SMS Relay function for Windows 10 Phones. in v.14 of the UWP Desktop app.

I will give you just few examples to answer your question:

1. Screen sharing: In v.7 one could right-click a contact & start desktop screen sharing right away. The new version requires you to start a call, choose the three dots that will bring you the menu & start the sharing process from there. Many of my contacts had difficulties finding it.

2. Also the Highlights feature-I don't know anyone of my contacts that uses it. But for those that do use it-it might still be kept there, no need to be removed. An option to disable it would have been enough for me.

3. Sending emoticons, mojis, etc-they are now grouped, so it's easy to choose what you need. Before I had difficulties sending mojis-I often confused them with the stickers.

The new interface is a lot better, both UWP, Android phones. & the v8. for desktops.

This doesn't apply to the Window 10 Phones version which seems will not be updated. I don't own iOS device, so I have no observations on that.

That's my opinion of course.

Have A Nice Day!
On which devices or versions? Android? 

OK, understood, and some good points. I was thinking of it more in terms of "bad design" or "bad ideas in the first place" rather than complications, but these things are all related.

MS may have pulled off the near-impossible of greatly reducing features and choice in a product while making it more difficult to use.

MS today amplified this "simplification" idea (Highlights are gone):

https://blogs.skype.com/news/2018/08/31/simplicity-and-familiarity-updates-to-the-skype-user-experience

"removed the Highlights feature"

THANK YOU!

I don't like feature removal in general, but  I never seen anyone use this one!

"You’ll also see we’ve redesigned how to add a reaction to a message, a new layout for reaction summary,"

This is also one thing I never seen used! … if you plan to keep it, at least  give an option to totally disable it!

In general ver.8  don't have to many! useful features but to FEW  compared to ver.7! but this two I wouldn't mind if they disappeared...…….or even better give the user the option to enable or disable them.  ("hide" the settings  under "advanced settings" ….or something like that  …..if you feel the need to) 

Looking at this thread, perhaps I'm an outlyer. 

I like Skype. 

I want a messaging service that people are familiar with  that is NOT linked to an advertising model like Facebook and it's wholly own properties WhatsApp and Instagram, and others. As I understand it, Facebook et al scrap your contact data, and probably much more. Uh uh. Not what I'm looking for. 

I appreciate that Skype/Microsoft did a big redesign to a cloud based archetecture system, that is if I got this right, and Skype 8 is the first big "re-do" of the app, succeeding Skype Classic 7. It ain't easy to do. 

And yes, I like the pressure people put on Skype/Microsoft. I'm certain it is legitimate (however I happen to believe generally people only complain on these sites, not compliment. That's life.) So keep improving Microsoft. It's a competitive world and people have options! But my life is not ruined or a "nightmare" over a piece of software. Just saying. 

Forum Article Info

Last updated May 25, 2020 Views 666 Applies to: