Skype Insider Preview // You can now easily find messages in the current conversation // 8.30.76.22 // Available for desktop clients on Windows, Linux and Mac

We’re glad to announce that with this update you now have the ability to easily find messages in the current conversation! You've been asking for this and we surely took it seriously.

A couple details about this feature:

• There are 2 ways you can start searching in the current conversation: 
    • Like the good old times, in any open conversation press Ctrl + F  or Command + F in Mac. You can still access the global search by pressing Ctrl + Shift + S or Option + Command + F in Mac.
    • On the chat header press the "Find" button
  • To navigate around results simply press the up and down arrows (support for using enter/return to navigate coming soon)
  • To exit, simply click on cancel or press the Esc key

There some known issues that we are tackling and will surely be fixed in the next update to 8.30. Trust us, we don't like them either, but we were too excited and wanted to have you try it out a little earlier since we know you've been looking for this feature for some time. 

Known issues

• When you select a message result from global search you will navigate to that message in the correct chat. The problem is that sometimes you try to scroll down to get to the bottom of you conversation again and it doesn't work :(
    • To fix this simply go to any other conversation and then back.
  • Sometimes when you open find in current conversation and search for a term, your conversation stops updating (e.g. you send a message and it's not shown or your contacts are sending messages but you don't see them). 
    • To fix this simply go to any other conversation and then back
  • We're currently limited to up to 6 months and 20 message results. 
    • We're working very hard on fixing these and removing these limits. Please let us know if this is enough and if it works for you. 
  • For those of you using Private Conversations, given that the messages are end-to-end encrypted we can’t really search for them at this moment hence we don't offer the option to find in current conversation. Let us know if this is something you would like to see in a future update.

We have a couple questions for you and we would really appreciate your feedback on them.  

• Do you consider that the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + F is the most intuitive to open this experience? Did you expect something else? 
  • Do you consider that the time and number or results limitations are a problem to you?
  • Do you often search for things older than 6 months?
  • Do you ever run into the situation that 20 message results are not enough? 

Your feedback helps us make Skype better every day, please keep it coming. We look forward to hearing more from you!

The Skype Team

  

Discussion Info

Last updated March 5, 2019 Views 382 Applies to:

I think it goes without saying that 6 months especially, but also 20 results, isn't enough. I'm glad to read that you're aiming to remove them, though concerned that you're also asking so many questions about them, as if you're instead just considering making it 12 / 40 or whatever. This is one of those head-turning things that no one expects to be different from what's always been.

I've seen countless questions in various places about how it's no longer possible to search for a message in a chat, which was because of turning Ctrl-F into Ctrl-Shift-S, a shortcut which no one knew. It's good to see that Ctrl-F works again.

It's also good to see that it works when the chat window is narrow enough not to show the contacts. In past versions we had to use Ctrl-Shift-S, and it would do nothing in that case (it still doesn't, but it no longer matters).

"Do you consider that the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + F is the most intuitive to open this experience? Did you expect something else? "

Would be nice to have an other option: right click for example

"Do you consider that the time and number or results limitations are a problem to you?"

YES!

"Do you often search for things older than 6 months? "

YES!

Because you often have the most important  information in the beginning of a conversation like: Name, phone , adress ……...

"Do you ever run into the situation that 20 message results are not enough? "

YES!

Do you consider that the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + F is the most intuitive to open this experience?

YES

Do you consider that the time and number or results limitations are a problem to you?

Yes

Do you often search for things older than 6 months?

NO, but from time to time it may be extremely helpfull.

Do you ever run into the situation that 20 message results are not enough? 

YES

Please apply the search function to private conversations as well.

cheers

The limit of 6 months is definitely insufficient. I often need to search for messages older than that, sometimes even older than one year and I don't think there should be any kind of limit. I'd also like to point out that the search is currently very slow (especially moving up/down between individual search results).

Yes, the 6-month search window and the limited number of results are problems (update: on the latter, I think 8.33+ removed that limit). As is the 2-year storage history.

But there is a fast way to search: don't use the in-chat Ctrl-F search, except for something that you expect to find quickly among recent messages.

Use the search out on the main screen. It's lightning-fast and presents the results in an optimal way.

Indeed, the search in all conversations is faster than in one specific conversation. The limit of 6 months is still there though, I just checked using the latest version.

Search and storage are not a big deal for me.

• Ctrl-F is fine, though it's not a significant feature for me
  • Six month and 20 messages seems more than sufficient for any of my needs. 
  • Never even considered searching later than about a week!
  • Nope

(In fact, on Group Chat I'd like to gain the ability to have posts autmotically deleted after a time period elected by the Group Chat administrator, say 30, 60, 90, etc. days. For me, it's a conversation, not a record. But other people feel otherwise).