Skype Insider Preview // We can now archive Conversations // 8.29.76.16 // Available for Android 6+, iOS 10+ devices, and in the desktop clients for Windows, Linux and Mac

Hello Skype Insiders! 

We’re glad to announce that with this update you now have the ability to archive conversations in Skype! Thank you for all of your feedback; we've listened and made some changes we think you’ll love.

Here’s how it works:

1. You have the option to archive a conversation from…

• The chat list item menu. (Right click or long press on a conversation)
  • The chat settings within the conversation profile
  • A keyboard shortcut for the conversation open
    • Mac: [Command] + E
    • PC: Ctrl + Shift + E

2. A conversation will remain archived until…

• Something that would've caused the conversation to move up in the chat list happens (example: new message is received, a new person is added to a group, etc.)
  • You search for the group conversation or contact and select it to open it
  • You go to your contacts list, find the contact for the archived conversation and select it

3. You will still be able to use search to find messages in an archived conversation

4. When a conversation gets archived from one device, it will be archived on all devices

We have a couple questions for you and we would really appreciate your feedback on them.

1. We’re still working on providing an option for you to see all your archived conversation. Is this something that you would find useful?
  2. Do you think conversations should be automatically unarchived when you select and open them?
  3. If you could choose between the terms “Archive/Unarchive” vs “Hide/Unhide” what would be your preferred one, and why

Your feedback helps us make Skype better every day, please keep it coming. We look forward to hearing more from you.

The Skype Team 

Forum Article Info

Last updated April 20, 2019 Views 422 Applies to:
Hide/show definitely 🤟��

I'd like to try this on my PC but it uninstalls Classic Skype in the Process. Can you please tweak the installer so that it does not uninstall Classic Skype.

1. We’re still working on providing an option for you to see all your archived conversation. Is this something that you would find useful? YES it would be useful
  2. Do you think conversations should be automatically unarchived when you select and open them? NO, a yes or no option should pop out
  3. If you could choose between the terms “Archive/Unarchive” vs “Hide/Unhide” what would be your preferred one, and why? -Archive/Unarchive because it sounds professional
SUPPORT CLASSIC SKYPE AGAIN FOR ONE MORE YEAR UNTIL ALL THE NEEDED FEATURES ARE SUCCESFULLY MIGRATED TO SKYPE 8 AND 14!

Thank you for responding, your feedback is very helpful!

Unfortunately you can only have one version of Skype installed on your PC. We would love to hear more about what we can do better in the new Skype that you would make you feel better about moving from Skype Classic.

Thank you for your feedback! 

We would love to hear more about what we can do better in the new Skype that you would make you feel better about moving from Skype Classic.

I would like Skype 8 to have Desktop API Support. I use a Skype certified headset which needs the API to make the answer/end call button to work instead of clicking on the app to end the call. I already posted the same idea at the UserVoice site. 

SUPPORT CLASSIC SKYPE AGAIN FOR ONE MORE YEAR UNTIL ALL THE NEEDED FEATURES ARE SUCCESFULLY MIGRATED TO SKYPE 8 AND 14!
Its it meant to have SMS connect as a disabel can not turn it on? or is it a bug? i can not chooes Skype as my default SMS chat app as well. 

Hi

sorry but I don't get this (English is only my second languish) but does this mean that I can have the whole conversation stored locally (PC phone etc....and not in the cloud)  and more importantly from the beginning of the conversation not just the two last years?

in that case:

1 YES!!!!! pretty please ...usually the most important information is in the beginning of a conversation (adress phone nr etc)

2 yes

3 doesn't really matter  but Archive/Unarchive seems more appropriate

1. We’re still working on providing an option for you to see all your archived conversation. Is this something that you would find useful? YES
  2. Do you think conversations should be automatically unarchived when you select and open THEM? No. Maybe I don't understand this feature. But I would like to archive a conversation up to, say, today or maybe 30 days ago, have it "disappear" from the conversation, and continue the conversation from the point onward in time. See what I mean? 
  3. If you could choose between the terms “Archive/Unarchive” vs “Hide/Unhide” what would be your preferred one, and why. The "term," as in what you call this feature? Archive. Especially, if this feature worked as I described in #2 above, I don't need to hide. But if the conversation automatically reappears when you revisit it, which I do not prefer, that's a "hide," not at all an archive. See what I mean? 
  4. Also, I'd like to 1) delete a Group Chat conversation forever, without deleting the Group. Can I'd do that? 2) better yet, I'd like to be able to set automatic deleting of all posts on a Group Chat conversation after they are, say, 30 days old. There is no point in saving them. See what I mean?