Skype Insider Preview // Private Conversations // Available on Android 6+ and iOS devices and in the desktop clients for Windows, Linux, and Mac

We know extra protection is important as you share sensitive information over Skype so we’re excited to announce the preview of end-to-end encrypted Private Conversations, available now for Skype Insiders. 

With Private Conversations, you can have end-to-end encrypted Skype audio calls and send text messages or files like images, audio, or videos, using the industry standard Signal Protocol by Open Whisper Systems. The content of these conversations will be hidden in the chat list as well as in notifications to keep the information you share private.

Give it a try by selecting “New Private Conversation” from the compose menu or from the recipient’s profile. After the recipient accepts your invite, all calls and messages in that conversation will be encrypted end-to-end until you choose to end it. You can only participate in a private conversation from a single device at a time. You can switch the conversation to any of your devices, but the messages you send and receive will be tied to the device you’re using at the time.

During the preview, you will only be able to start private conversations with other Skype Insiders also running the latest version, and these interactions are limited to one-to-one conversations. Up next, we’d like to improve the UX around the invite to join a private conversation and bring the experience to the UWP client.

We’re looking to you, Skype Insiders, to tell us if this new feature works as expected before enabling it for everyone. Please submit feedback and let us know what you think!

Private Conversations are available now to Skype Insiders using Skype version 8.13.76.8 for iOS, Android, Linux, Mac, and Windows Desktop.

Thanks for all you do!

Chat with others using this new feature:

http://aka.ms/skypeinsidercommunity

Read the Private Conversations FAQ:

https://go.skype.com/privateconversations

Join the Skype Insider Program:

https://www.skype.com/en/insider/

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

... Skype version 8.13.76.8 for ... Windows Desktop.

I'm currently using Skype 12.13.257.0 on Windows 10 1709 build 16299.192 (and 12.8.480.0 on Windows 10 Mobile 1709 build 15254.1). Is v.8 more recent than v.12? How can that be?

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Hi, 

I am using Skype For 5 Years, it has a beautiful video calling quality. I think its the best in the world. So many professionals are using across the world on daily basis & almost 200 billion minutes are used in video chatting with almost 1 million messages every hour. I think its related to business and business only. 

I would like to ask or you can take it as a suggestion, kindly introduce workplace for skype & if its already available make it free. You can easily compete with Facebook Workplace. I must tell you guys It's really ****. 

Please bring something new every year and also don't forget to update the rest. Also, provide a strong option to stop these idiot & useless windows update feature which usually frustrates everyone on daily basis.

You can read my Magazine & Explore | Entertain yourself: 

I am ready to have suggestions & your much-needed reviews or suggestions if any of the community members would give it to me, it would help me to improve my Magazine.

You can also read my recent blog about interesting Private Chat Encryption in Skype

Thanks a ton to all of you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yet OneDrive personal do not have encryption at rest.  It took years for Skype... how long for OneDrive?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It will only take 2-3 years more for One Drive to develop itself.

All you have to do is some major changes in its R&D vertical.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

включете скаипа

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also waiting for the same, I think we all want to make Microsoft great again.

Bring amazing updates and products every year for your much loving audience. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated April 8, 2022 Views 5,707 Applies to: