More info on the update to Skype version 8

Hello, Skype community! We hope you're all enjoying the latest updates to Skype version 8 for desktop, mobile, and tablet devices. We wanted to share a few more details on the ongoing update to Skype version 8 to keep you up to speed on the latest info.

Why update everyone to Skype version 8?

The update from version 7 to version 8 allows us to unify the experience of using Skype across all desktop and mobile platforms. Unlike older versions, all version 8 applications are optimized to work in conjunction with our modern, mobile-friendly cloud services architecture, which has allowed us to deliver features such as video messaging and mobile group video calling over the past couple years.  With a unified experience and with all applications now no longer having to support legacy architecture, our engineering teams can deliver features and quality improvements to customers much more quickly.

What can you expect over the next several months?

• We're sending an email to people still using older Skype versions so they know the update is coming. We published a blog post and have communicated the change in this forum, but we want to be sure everyone who might be impacted by this change is well-informed.  We expect everyone who might be impacted to receive an email notification by the end of October.
  • Then we'll start requiring people to update to Skype version 8 in waves over the next several months. Not everyone will be required to update at once.
    • Desktop: First wave begins on 11/1/2018
    • Mobile devices and tablets: First wave begins on 11/15/2018
  • We strongly recommend you update now, prior to being required to do so, to avoid any interruption in service. Find out how to download the latest Skype versions here.
  • Skype version 14 is available for Windows 10 PCs in the Microsoft Store for Skype Insiders. It is based on version 8, but has additional features to better integrate with the platform. You can run version 8 for desktop and version 14 for Windows 10 PCs at the same time on your PC. We'll keep releasing updates to version 14 as we update version 8.
  • We'll continue to update Skype version 8 and version 14 based on your feedback and communicate what's changing as we go.

Your feedback on the update to Skype version 8

Many of you have taken the time to share your thoughts on this update. Thank you. We appreciate it! We learned how important it is to you to maintain feature parity with older Skype versions and we're working towards that goal. Here's a few examples of features we've already brought back based on your feedback and a few more we're going to work on next.

Working on these now These are next
Fundamentals Performance improvements
Keyboard shortcuts guide
Show Skype version on sign-in screen
Even more performance improvements
Resizable left pane on desktop
Swipe actions on mobile
Calling Setting for a secondary ringing device 
Advanced webcam settings
Separate Skype volume control on Mac
Setting for incoming call notifications when in Do Not Disturb mode
Indicator for who's talking in large calls
Easier switch between cameras
Select which app or window to share when screensharing 
Messaging Find within current conversation
Setting to change font size on desktop
Share a Skype contact
Global conversation search shows more than 20 results
Customize “Enter” or "Return" to send message or add a line
Save-as for audio files like mp3
Hide conversations in chat list
Setting to disable link previews 
Find in current conversation shows more than 30 results 
Skype SMS Connect 
Contacts/people Setting for allowing Skype to Skype calls only from contacts
Improved availability status
Add phone number as a contact
Global people search shows more than 20 results 
Add phone number to an existing contact
More control over availability status
Setting for allowing calls to your Skype Number only from contacts
Address book sync on Mac
Store app for Windows 10 PC Improve copy-paste to dialpad
App icon in system tray
Split view 

Contributing to the Skype community

Have feedback of your own to share? New to the Skype community? There are many places where you can tell us what you think about using Skype! Join the community wherever you're most comfortable and we'll be there.

Reporting problems in Skype

If you need to report a problem and are a Skype Insider using a preview build of Skype, you can submit in the app using the Skype Support Bot to easily submit screenshots and logs for the problem you're experiencing. Use this option when Skype isn't behaving to help us investigate.

Giving feedback in Skype

You can provide feedback on using Skype within the app in the "Help and feedback" section of Settings. Use this to tell us what we should build next.

Surveys in Skype

From time to time, you'll be prompted to provide more information on the Skype experience within Skype. This information is shared with the Skype engineering squads as they prioritize work on their backlogs.

Ratings and reviews in the app stores

This information is retrieved on a regular basis and reported out to the Skype engineering squads to ensure we're trending upwards and to understand what is top of mind for you. You can expect a response from us only when we need more information about a problem you've reported.

Windows Feedback Hub

This is the best place to go if you can consistently reproduce a problem using Skype on Windows 10. It supplies Skype engineers with rich information which makes investigating your problem easier. Be sure to check out the "Recreate my problem" option in the "Additional details" section when submitting your feedback in this app.

UserVoice

This site was created recently to ensure everyone can share ideas on how to improve Skype regardless of which platform you use. As we release updates to the Skype experience, we'll update the submissions on this site to keep you informed. Register today and join the discussion.

Skype Community Forum on Answers

Visit this site to get technical support from support agents or participate in discussions with the Skype engineering team. This is where we post the most detailed information about new experiences as they are released to Skype Insiders and then to others within the Skype community.

Twitter

Follow @SkypeInsider for all the latest info on new features coming to Skype. Tweet at us if you see anything broken in newly released updates or want to share ideas you have for improving Skype.

Detailed feedback on what you love or hate about Skype is always appreciated. Personal insults or threatening comments are not. As we work together to shape Skype's future, the Skype customer success squad is going to spend more time moderating our feedback channels to ensure they are a positive environment for everyone.

Thank you for supporting Skype.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 20, 2018 Views 9,999 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

We've heard your concern about the feature parity between Skype versions 7 and 8 and the upcoming dates for the end of support for Skype version 7. While's it's true we'll start to update people to the new version on those dates, the initial waves will be small. We understand how you've come to depend on Skype so we are moving forward with the required update carefully. As always, send us your feedback on specific problems you may encounter, or start a new thread with your suggestions and discussions. We're in this together.

Moderator note: This thread is now closed to comments.

Thanks Matt.

Skype 8 will not work for me until the 'Setting for a secondary ringing device ' is working. Is there a timescale for this?

Meanwhile, it would be an excellent idea for Skype customer relations if users, who know that Skype 8 will not work for them at the moment, had an option to disable the constant desktop reminders about upgrading by having a box to indicate <Waiting for you to do something> which would then stop the annoying reminders.
Hi pedroparkes. The ability to enable a secondary ringing device is enabled for versions 8.30+.  
How can I determine my current version of Skype on my desktop?

After the last update it takes 30 min. too make a call

In March, 2017, I updated Skype and my web cam stopped working.  I had to have an agent (Bryan) help me, I believe he may have rolled me back to a previous version of Skype.

Since that time my Skype has been working fine but I have declined all updates.

Today I received an e-mail saying that I have to update to Skype version 8 by Nov 1, 2018.  I am just wondering if this is going to cause my web cam to stop working again or has that problem been corrected.

Thank you.

The reminders should only be happening because Skype senses the presence of skypesetup.exe in your temp folder. If you type %temp% into Windows Explorer, you should be redirected to the temp folder and be able to delete that file.

If you're not using 7.41, which doesn't have an update function, then go into Skype's settings and disable updates to prevent the file from showing up again.

Skype 8 will not work for me until the 'Setting for a secondary ringing device ' is working. Is there a timescale for this?

Meanwhile, it would be an excellent idea for Skype customer relations if users, who know that Skype 8 will not work for them at the moment, had an option to disable the constant desktop reminders about upgrading by having a box to indicate <Waiting for you to do something> which would then stop the annoying reminders.
Hi Ellen, some feedback from a pensioner.  I am 66 years old UK expat working in Asia and for over 5 years used Skype to communicate with friends and relatives back home.  The backlash received on version 8 was well deserved.  Overnight, my ability to call and talk with friends, relatives, children and grand children was almost removed.  It took me many hours to figure out the strange new login, and why I needed an MS account as well as a Skype account.  The fact that I cannot choose a font size is a disaster, as my eyes struggle with the tiny display we have to put up with.  The new interface is anything but intuitive, and takes a lot of 'learning'.  The old Skype was much easier, and un-learning has not been easy.  Fortunately, over the last few years, Wi-Fi has become much more available, and so applications like Whats-App, Duo, Telegram are now available, and my dependency on Skype for calling friends has faded big time.  Skype will never recover the lead it had.  I suppose some young development team thought it new best on how a new interface should work, and some account team got really excited about how a 'single' platform would be more cost effective ?  Well, you are all wrong.  It isn't any better, or cheaper, and now you are bringing some of the old features.  Too little too late, but thanks for trying... rgds ....  
Unfortunately, I hear WhatsApp isn't very accessible with screen readers on PC. Also I don't think it can serve as a simple IM client like Skype can, unles I'm mistaken. I know nothing about Telegram. Zoom is accessible, but again, not an IM client.

I'm not a business user. I just want the Skype experience I already have, not some resource hogging bloaty Electron app that probably won't even be feature complete come the November 1 deadline. Is Skype 8 accessible? Technically, absolutely. Is it efficient to use? Not from what I've been hearing. Please actually fix this before forcing it on us, and please, for goodness sake, seriously consider ditching Electron for this project. It's good for some things, but not Skype.