Bringing you more control over your Skype status

We have heard your feedback on the Skype 8 Presence model. We have seen two major feedback themes emerge – (a) My contacts don’t see me as Active/Online even though I am (b) Give me more control on my presence. We are actively working on addressing them and would love your feedback on some of the changes we are planning.

My contacts don’t see me as Active even though I am

This by far has been the biggest feedback. We are addressing it immediately. We are currently testing the change in Skype Insiders and hope to roll it out to everyone shortly. Earlier, we marked you Inactive when you minimized the app. Going forward, your contacts will see you as Active if the Skype app is running on your computer and you are either using the mouse or the keyboard. This change also aligns us with the Skype 7 behavior you are familiar with.

Give me more control on my presence

How we share our availability and intent to communicate with others has evolved significantly over time, thanks to the ‘always on’ world we have come to live in where each of us is connected 24X7 through multiple devices. The simplified Skype 8 Presence model was a step in that direction. Your feedback makes it clear that there are times when you would like more control on how your presence is represented in the Skype ecosystem.

We spent a lot of time learning from users what aspects of the current model worked or did not work too well. The result is a streamlined model with four states – Active, Recently Active, Away and Not Active. The table below summarizes what each state means, how it’s represented, and how you would transition among these states.

If your status is Active Recently Active Away Not Active
Contacts will see you as

Active Now

Last active [n] mins ago

Last active [n] hrs | days ago

Last active [n] mins | hrs | days ago

It means You are in the app. On Desktop: you have the app running in the background and are either using mouse or keyboard You were active less than an hour ago You were active more than an hour ago You are signed out, not reachable or have not been active for an extended period
Can you set the status Yes No Yes No

If you are wondering where are ‘Invisible’ and ‘Do Not Disturb’, we have you covered. 

Hide my Presence – You will be able to turn off your presence from Settings. Once you turn off your presence, you will be marked Not Active. We want to foster an environment of trust and openness. So, if you hide your presence, you will not be able to see others’ presence.

Quiet Mode – Many users shared that they found the Do Not Disturb status rude and preferred to sign out to minimize interruptions. We plan to have a new feature that we believe is a subtler but better way to handle unwanted interruptions.  Quiet mode will silence all incoming messages and calls. If you would like to let your contacts know that you will not be taking calls or responding to messages, you can select the ‘Do not Disturb’ custom status. Just like before, you will have the flexibility to decide if you want to be alerted to incoming calls or messages. 

When these states are just not enough - Many of us use the status message in addition to the presence states to share more about our availability. We plan to make status messages an integral part of your presence on Skype so that your contacts will easily know if you are unreachable because you are on a vacation or should expect a delay in response as you are attending a conference. We plan to make these status messages intelligent in future so that you don’t have to remember to remove an old status message.

Figure
1. Select from a pre-defined list of statuses

Figure 2.Your status message is visible across the app

Some of you may have contacts who are still running Skype 7. This is how the states will map

• If you are Active they will see you as Online.
  • If you are Recently Active or Away they will see you as Away.
  • If you are Not Active they will see you as Offline.

We believe our new model and controls will make it easier for you to manage the way you connect with the world through Skype. We look forward to hearing from you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Is it possible to get a straightforward answer: 1) Is the Skype team considering reinstating the old "Away" status and, if so, when; 2) why has it been removed from the desktop app in the first place?

This is a quote from the Skype's own website regarding the old "Away" status. The description is still there. Has someone forgotten to delete it?

"Your contacts can see that you’re signed in to Skype but not necessarily at your computer. Instant messages will be delivered to you immediately and your contacts can still try to call you."

This simply makes sense.

The proposed "Recently Active" and "Away" presence states do not carry the same information values. They do not tell me whether the people I may want to contact are signed in and, therefore, are potentially contactable.

The proposed presence model is about the past (x min ago; x hours ago).

The old model told users about the present.

Is it possible to get a straightforward answer: 1) Is the Skype team considering reinstating the old "Away" status and, if so, when; 2) why has it been removed from the desktop app in the first place?

This is a quote from the Skype's own website regarding the old "Away" status. The description is still there. Has someone forgotten to delete it?

"Your contacts can see that you’re signed in to Skype but not necessarily at your computer. Instant messages will be delivered to you immediately and your contacts can still try to call you."

This simply makes sense.

The proposed "Recently Active" and "Away" presence states do not carry the same information values. They do not tell me whether the people I may want to contact are signed in and, therefore, are potentially contactable.

The proposed presence model is about the past (x min ago; x hours ago).

The old model told users about the present.

Totally agree.  We all used the yellow away to mean something like devlayed availability.

invisible to mean not available for incoming calls (without actively offending ppl ir having to explain) and yet still able to make selective outgoing calls to whoever is openly available.

and active to mean - im literally 100% accepting calls.

MS wants to ruin the work paradigm of skype.  They got complaints about the imperfect status model but didnt undersrand that it was about it working as expected.  The statuses were not reliable - complaining about that doesnt mean do away with the dictionary and institute a new srt of vocabulary using the same words to mean new things.  It simply meant they should refine what was working.

design by survey leads to erroneous decisions.  Doing away with the old status model definitions was a BAD move.  At least it was bad to redefine the meanings of terms ans also to remove the away functionality.

but yeah... can we get a definitive answer? Ir is MS just going to go with what they have already decided because they have the ability to literally force it down our throats.  Sure some will accept it and lament over it, some will leave, and some dont care... and a few like us will complain.

my guess - they will do what they want and enforce whatever rules/algorithms suit their personal agenda.

invisible in the preview apears to be fuunctioning as it used to (that is i appear offline but can see some online statuses).  I dont 100% trust this is here to stay but at least there is that.... for now.

the latest nonsense is the last active status doesnt show for anyone tuat has a phone number or a tagline.  Instead the phone num or status line shows in its place.  Smh.

Whatever -

HOPE WE HEAR SOMETHING FROM @arun at some point @Camero—01

we just keep having to remind them over and over again -

Chirp chirp go the crickets.

I'm watching the insider skype and it's funny, I just noticed.  AWAY is the symbol for invisible.  And it's next to impossible to differentiate between someone that is away now vs someone that is inactive (offline)

someone hates yellow and red.  some idiot psychologist decided these colors had "negative" connotations and should be avoided.

some idiots decided to fill out surveys and complain - poorly - thay the away did not automatically work properly, and they don't want to have to manually do it, or figure out how to set the auto setting or heaven forbid that it just functions as it is intended.

I have only 2 REAL complaints about skype right now... 

1) "Away" appearance is being cross-linked with "Invisible" in terms of functionality and will RUIN the skype experience because I will get more calls from rude folks, and fewer calls from polite ones.

2) "Invisible" - Maybe ??  So currently, I still can't tell if MS got off their high-horse about invisible.  In the insiders, it appears that I can still see other's status while I'm invisible.  IF that's fixed, great... but I suspect they are ignoring that need and it's just lucky for now because they haven't swept the web version under the rug yet.

the web version has been the final holdout where the status model was still working correctly and I could tell what status I was supposed to be seeing.  but in the preview web version - it's all broken like the new Skype desktop app.

when the old web version is gone - I am afraid we will be left with GARBAGE and no working fix. 

and THANKS Arun for disappearing.  c'mon really? can you just reply with an answer so we can decide if we really are going to need to abandon skype or if we should have patience with your developers?

oh yeah and 3) the active x hours/days ago doesn't even show on folks that have a status tag, or who have phone numbers.  gah... what's the use?

Chirp - chirp... .go the crickets in the room.

AWAY is now the symbol for invisible.  And it's next to impossible to differentiate between someone that is away now vs someone that is inactive (offline)

Indeed, Skype Preview v. 8.34.76.37

Looks like the Skype team has now made hash of their own proposal. What a mess.

Which goes to show that coding does not replace thinking.

When is the full complement of statuses mentioned in "Give me more control on my presence" going to become available?  I still see only Active, DND, and Invisible.

Setting status to Away using the system tray icon, was for a short time available in the 8.34.76.37 Preview version of Skype for Desktop. However, this feature disappeared again.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 20, 2020 Views 7,117 Applies to: