Date of birth requirement for Microsoft accounts

Skype now requires that you provide your date of birth for your Microsoft account to comply with applicable laws and regulations.

Please be aware that the date of birth set in your Skype profile is different and you may want to check your Skype profile to ensure you are happy sharing  your birthday with your friends and family.

If you already have your date of birth set in your Microsoft account, then you do not need to do anything. However, if your date of birth signifies that you are a child, then you must obtain parental consent to continue using Skype. We recommend using a Microsoft family account to manage child accounts.

Learn more about Parental consent and Microsoft child accounts.

If you don't have your date of birth set for your Microsoft account, you may be prompted to do so when next you attempt to sign in to Skype. It's quick and as soon as this is done, you will be signed back in to Skype to continue your conversations.

If you need to verify your age or confirm parental consent, you can do this via our quick webform.

For more information about this change, please see our FAQ.

The Skype Team

Discussion Info

Last updated October 21, 2018 Views 3,113 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

my birth date is ***************

Moderator note: personal information has been removed. To protect your privacy, do not post any personal information such as your email address, phone number, product key, password, or credit card number.

Hello AjP00,

The reason why the system is prompting you to confirm the year and the date of birth is because Skype's websites and software are not intended for or designed to attract users under the age of 13. Our security measures are based on the date of birth provided by the end user when creating a profile or upon the update of the account profile, so it is very important to enter the correct information.

Let us know if you have any further questions or clarifications.

Thank you!

Janine P

I find your explanation unconvincing; have Microsoft very recently redesigned Skype to be suitable for users over the age over the of 12 ?  Why has this requirement been introduced only now ?

2.June.2018

In compliance with recent data regulations.

Hello AjP00,

The reason why the system is prompting you to confirm the year and the date of birth is because Skype's websites and software are not intended for or designed to attract users under the age of 13. Our security measures are based on the date of birth provided by the end user when creating a profile or upon the update of the account profile, so it is very important to enter the correct information.

Let us know if you have any further questions or clarifications.

Thank you!

Janine P

I find your explanation unconvincing; have Microsoft very recently redesigned Skype to be suitable for users over the age over the of 12 ?  Why has this requirement been introduced only now ?

2.June.2018

EdC

I was also getting problems with DOB in Skype.

Thanks for this post

As I am not willing to give Microsoft any more informations about my person, there only 2 working solutions.

1) New account (No need for verification whitch means this whole comedy is pointless)

2) Moving to alternative after long years with Skype.

I think, that after this user experience for me and my friends is second option most likely to happen.

What can i do

As I am not willing to give Microsoft any more informations about my person, there only 2 working solutions.

1) New account (No need for verification whitch means this whole comedy is pointless)

2) Moving to alternative after long years with Skype.

I think, that after this user experience for me and my friends is second option most likely to happen.

I was FINALLY able to change my DOB both in my Microsoft and Skype profiles and it worked... well, for only 1 day. Now, after 2 days not using Skype, it still says that "I need parent's permission before you can use this account." I went back on my profiles and the DOB is okay (and definitely above 18 years old)!

I have waisted a lot of time on this and I would like that it be fixed definitely, as I use it to work.

Moreover, I find it frustrating that we are not able to get someone from Skype to discuss our problems in greater details over the phone and that we necessarily have to pass by a Community Chat.

I have passed this to our Accounts team to resolve speedily for you.

Apologies for the inconvenience as we try to comply with new data regulations.

I was FINALLY able to change my DOB both in my Microsoft and Skype profiles and it worked... well, for only 1 day. Now, after 2 days not using Skype, it still says that "I need parent's permission before you can use this account." I went back on my profiles and the DOB is okay (and definitely above 18 years old)!

I have waisted a lot of time on this and I would like that it be fixed definitely, as I use it to work.

Moreover, I find it frustrating that we are not able to get someone from Skype to discuss our problems in greater details over the phone and that we necessarily have to pass by a Community Chat.

You said:

"Those that previously did not provide their birth dates will have that default to the date the account was created."

This is simply not true. All accounts have been asked to enter a birthdate, users that fail to do so are locked out. Yes, a simple line of code could fix this, but Microsoft is very interested in collecting as much personal data as possible.

Like others, I felt my birth date was none of Microsoft's business, and entered 1 Jan 2018. I was promptly locked out, despite having an account for over ten years. But Microsoft decided that I was three months old, and despite not being at an age where I can support my own head, I can log into a Skype account.

I am now in the process of having my account restored, which I would like to do, as I have funds in my Skypeout account (not that I have not yet been offered any kind of refund for this if I decide not to continue with Skype). To do this, I am required to provide Microsoft with government issued identification (passport, license, etc). I have done this, albeit blacking out all data with the exception of my birthdate. I'm still waiting for resolution, it has been months now.

Microsoft has made no assurances that my data provided will be deleted (as I requested), nor safely stored, and if stored for how long. Please note that in accordance with GDPR law in Europe, you are required to do this, or face a hefty fine.

Pending resolution of my account, I will be making an official complaint.

Given Microsoft's behaviour in terms of privacy, I have no faith in their ability or will to safeguard users data, and if I can convince my mid-70s aged mother to move away from Skype and its collection of personal data I will do so as soon as I can.

It is a great pity, as I always have been such a supporter of Skype.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with age verification for your Microsoft account.

You can check the status here.

If you have any privacy concerns such as which personal data Microsoft holds or whether you will like to have it deleted, then please go to our Privacy Center.

You said:

"Those that previously did not provide their birth dates will have that default to the date the account was created."

This is simply not true. All accounts have been asked to enter a birthdate, users that fail to do so are locked out. Yes, a simple line of code could fix this, but Microsoft is very interested in collecting as much personal data as possible.

Like others, I felt my birth date was none of Microsoft's business, and entered 1 Jan 2018. I was promptly locked out, despite having an account for over ten years. But Microsoft decided that I was three months old, and despite not being at an age where I can support my own head, I can log into a Skype account.

I am now in the process of having my account restored, which I would like to do, as I have funds in my Skypeout account (not that I have not yet been offered any kind of refund for this if I decide not to continue with Skype). To do this, I am required to provide Microsoft with government issued identification (passport, license, etc). I have done this, albeit blacking out all data with the exception of my birthdate. I'm still waiting for resolution, it has been months now.

Microsoft has made no assurances that my data provided will be deleted (as I requested), nor safely stored, and if stored for how long. Please note that in accordance with GDPR law in Europe, you are required to do this, or face a hefty fine.

Pending resolution of my account, I will be making an official complaint.

Given Microsoft's behaviour in terms of privacy, I have no faith in their ability or will to safeguard users data, and if I can convince my mid-70s aged mother to move away from Skype and its collection of personal data I will do so as soon as I can.

It is a great pity, as I always have been such a supporter of Skype.