Skype suggests people from my contact list to other people on my contact list?!

Do you understand what a huge breach of privacy that is?!??

Discussion Info

Last updated July 27, 2019 Views 2,165 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi EricD3

The Discover list available on the new Skype (on Mobile and on Desktop, Mac and Linux) is a new feature introduced to help other Skype users to find their friends and family who are on Skype easier.

As of the moment, this cannot be turned off nor disabled but you can opt out if you prefer not to be included in search and suggestions. See this FAQ for additional details. Manage your profile settings

We have received a number of feedback from Skype users that want this feature removed or have the option to at least hide it, however we have no information yet whether this will be available in future updates.

Let us know if you need additional information or assistance.

Danida_U
Skype Community Moderator

That's the type of thing you should have to opt IN for.  I don't believe there's any warning whatsoever that members of our contact list will be shared with other members of our contact list.  I can't even imagine a situation where this would be a good idea.  Why would you want family, friends, coworkers to be suggested to each other?  And who forgets the names of their friends and family?  If you don't remember someone, maybe they shouldn't be on your list (as you have no desire to talk to that person).  Much less a stranger...  

When you consider that location can give a clear idea of who's contacts someone is seeing, this is a gross security flaw.  A criminal could find someone else's family member, create an almost identical false account (because they can see it), and then scam family members.  At least make people aware that their contact list is not private. 

This should be a priority, so please do your best to flag it!  (Of course after you finish the new Christmas emoticons)

Joking aside, I do appreciate you acknowledging the problem, and being understanding in your reply.  

Skype is committed in providing you the best that it can offer. Our developers take user feedback into great account when releasing updates. I understand your stand in this, the least I can do it to take note of the suggestion you provided. We are collating feedback and suggestions provided here in the Community to pass along the appropriate support team for review.

Should this feature be available in the following updates, do not worry as I will update this thread.

Danida_U

I have to fully back and reiterate EricD3's concerns.  I use Skype to communicate with international contacts who DO NOT need to see who I am communicating with unless I select to give that information. 

I appreciate that Microsoft wishes to challenge the juggernaut of Facebook and become the sharing site of choice, but Skype is not the avenue; particularly paid subscription accounts. 

In reference to the previous posts, we do not have the option to turn it off. I appreciate the time you put in to give the feedback, don't worry as I took note of it.

Should this be available, I will update the thread.

Thank you.

Danida_U

Hi,

Microsoft have dropped the ball on this. I sometimes use Skype for confidential conversations with clients as part of my hypnotherapy practice. Now I will no longer be able to do so as I cannot say Skype is confidential.

Unless you reverse this breach of privacy - rapidly - I'll be off to a competitor. As Skype is part of my Office 365 package I'm questioning whether I need to pay monthly for that if I won't be using Skype.

Moderators, please escalate this as a matter of urgency, thank you.

Ian

Hi Ian,

We are consolidating the feedback provided here. Should there be an update regarding this, I will immediately update the thread.

Thank you.

Danida_U
My Contacts are all customers, few friends and that would be a major issue if others can take this from me.  I worked years to keep my customers tied to my company and not provide to other competitors who know about this feature.

I understand how important this is for you, but this is part of Skype's expansion and upgrade to cater a larger group of people. Additionally, Skype is not intended for business use but don't worry, we also took note of your feedback.

Danida_U

I understand how important this is for you, but this is part of Skype's expansion and upgrade to cater a larger group of people. Additionally, Skype is not intended for business use but don't worry, we also took not of your feedback.

My account is used for Customer Support, Billing Staff, and expectations built around Skype for Business. 

"Skype for Business is an instant-messaging client used with Skype for Business Server or with Skype for Business Online. Skype for Business is enterprise software; compared to Skype, it has different features that target businesses"

So when I pay for Skype for Business Features, I am not part of the larger audience?  End users use free Skype Features, Companies pay for Phone Numbers, Calls and Features, even those who have small businesses use Skype Premium. 

At the end of the day, I should be looking for a platform because "Skype's expansion and upgrade to cater a larger group of people"  Thanks for being upfront.