Retrieving Password for Skype on Windows 10

This is ridiculous! I am logged into my Skype on my Android phone and on my IPad.

I recently logged out of Skype on my PC. Now I can no longer log in.

I have gone through the useless password reset option numerous times.

Each time it wants to use the email address I originally used to set up Skype.

This Email address no longer exists and has been updated on my profile years ago.

When checking on my IPad I find this old email is still shown under "These contact details can be used to find you on Skype", in addition to my mobile nr. I can update mobile nr, but cannot update or delete the old Email.

There is no way to contact the Skype Customer Care Centre (except for a commercial third party outfit), either from mmy PC (I am not logged into Skype there) or my IPAD or Phone.

I managed to top up my account by payment from my CC. Thi sis promptly shown on the account I am logged in.

But still there is no way to retrieve or reset my password, or just log into my Skype account on my PC.

Why is it that Microsoft always seem to turn a very easy to use piece of software into a useless piece of crap.

They seem happy to take payments, but refuse to offer any form of assistance, except through some unmonitored email message to which you can not respond. Who can help?

Hello Sjaak08           

I do apologize for this inconvenience. Don't worry I will look into this to find out the root cause of the issue. Can you please confirm the following? 

• What error message do you see when you log in to the application? 
  • What Skype version and what version is your Windows 10 running? 
  • Are you able to log in to the Skype website? 

Please don't hesitate to post back for additional information and If you need further assistance.

Thanks, 

Danida_U
Skype Community Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Danida_U.

Glad to finally get a response from a person rather than from an unmonitored email address.

Hopefully you can sort this for me. If Skype is willing to accept my payments (I topped up my account yesterday, updated balance shown on IPad & phone account), then Skype should also allow me to access my account.

Suspect problem may be related to me recently relocating to another city, therefore having another IP address, which triggers security alarm.

Answers:

- Error message:

We've detected something unusual about this sign-in.
   For example, you might be signing in from a new location, device or app. (two potions given)

1) "Email sjxxxxx@pxxx-**** (details deleted by me for privacy reasons, please send PM if needed)

2) "I don't have these anmymore"

To verify that this is your email address, enter it below and click "Next" to receive your code.

It is beyond me why my old Email account (which no longer exists) is the only option to retrieve or reset my password, even though my account has been updated and provides three other emails addresses, as well as my cell nr.

- Running Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

Skype Version 7.23.32.105

- I cannot log into the skype website as it does not accept current password, or allows me to reset password.

Note that I am logged into my account on my phone (Android) and IPad.

I am reluctant to log out of these because I then also won't be able to get in there.

I cannot use Option 1 to recover password (old email was updated years ago, and new emails are shown in skype account on both phone and IPAd).

Option 2 takes me to https://account.live.com/, requesting I enter another email. I successfully receive a code on this email which allows me to proceed to next step of verification.

After responding to endless questions to confirm I am me, I get an Email from *** Email address is removed for privacy ***:

"Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support

We've received the recovery request for your Microsoft account sjxxxxx@pxxx-****. Your issue number is:  280655821"

Later I receive another Email:

"We recently received a request to recover your Microsoft account sjxxxxx@pxxx-****. Unfortunately, we were unable to verify your ownership of this account using the information you provided. Microsoft takes the security and privacy of our customers very seriously, and our commitment to protecting your personal information requires that we take the utmost care in ensuring that you are the account owner.

Please submit a new account verification form
At this point, your best option is to submit a new form with as much accurate information as you can gather. The more information you can include in the form, the better the chance you’ll have of regaining access to your account. We’ve included a few tips below to help you fill out the form as completely and accurately as possible.

> Submit a new form 

Thank you,
Microsoft Support Team
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
USA"

No matter what I try, and no matter how accurate I fill in the details, it does not allow access to my account. More frustrating, there is no email or phone number to sort this out, either with Skype or Microsoft. An after a number attempst it locks me out altogether, and have to wait 24 hrs for the next attempt. This is absolutely ridiculous!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Four days later. Several more attempt to retrieve Skype Password or gain access to Skype account. No further answers, still no access. What a waste of time. Is there any live person at the other side of the line or am I doomed to forever dealing with one-way conversation with automatic messages? Please respond, someone...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a similar problem.  I created my Skype account years ago (so the recovery questions are hard to answer because I don't recall what State Iived in when I created it or what email address I used at the time). I have Skype  open and active on one computer (personal) where I can see what email addresses are associated with it and phone numbers, and like Sjaak08 I can add credit. 

But when I try to change/recover the password to set up the account on a new work computer, it only gives me the option of an old work email and old work phone number (neither of which I have access to anymore) that somehow got associated with the account during that job. These are completely different than the email addresses and phone number that show on my account settings on the computer I can access my account on.  So I'm stuck.

Then to confuse matters I seem to have a separate Microsoft account that I can access, but that doesn't allow me to access any Skype account.  Yet when I go to the accounts page, it tells me my Microsoft account is linked to my skype account.

Help!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2024 Views 3,657 Applies to: