Release Notes for Skype 8.54

The latest Skype version 8.54 is out. We’ve made some updates to Translated Conversations in Skype. We’ve also made improvements and fixes to screen sharing on macOS.  Oh, there're a couple of new emoji you can try as well, (checkmark) and (crossmark), they are pretty cool. You asked, we delivered! 

Skype for Windows, Mac, Linux and Web 

• Translated Conversations:  Talking and chatting with people all over the world in a different language just got even easier with Translated Conversations in Skype. Learn more about Translated Conversations.
  • Improved detection of missing permissions for screen sharing on macOS.
  • Bug fixes and stability improvements.  

Skype for Android, iPhone and iPad 

• Translated Conversations:  Talking and chatting with people all over the world in a different language just got even easier with Translated Conversations in Skype. Learn more about Translated Conversations.
  • Bug fixes and stability improvements.  

The new features are rolling out gradually over the next couple of days so if you don’t see them right away, just check again soon! 

If you are using Skype in Brazil and if your chat message timestamps are one hour off from your system time, we are aware of this issue and working on fixing it. You can use Skype for Web in Chrome or Edge as a temporary workaround.

Please let us know what you think about the latest changes, either here in the community or through the Skype app. And you can always go to Skype’s User Voice to submit and vote for new features and ideas.  You might also want to check out the other known issues

Thank you for all that you do to support Skype! 

The Skype Team 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks. You may already be aware, but the Release Notes page (which isn't updated at the moment but may be by the time you read this) tends to lag 3-7 days after a release. For example, Skype 8.54 came out a full week ago. It would be great if the release notes were made available much sooner in general (not speaking about 8.54 specifically).

Since you brought up bugs, would you be willing to play "Is it a bug or a feature?" with us here?  I could put together a list pretty quickly of issues that have been around for long enough where it's become unclear if you even consider them to be bugs, like the way Skype starts up by positioning itself in the middle of the screen.

The reason why there's some delay before these posts and before the article you mentioned get updated is that we want the new version and the new features be rolled out for most customers first. We started gradually releasing 8.54 last week and the included features typically get gradually enabled as well. This means it usually takes up to one week before the new version and the new features are available for everyone.

Regarding bugs vs features, we are constantly monitoring customer feedback which includes Skype's User Voice but also feedback from all other channels. We are happy to take a look at your list, just please make sure you have reported all problems through the app (on Skype Insider Preview version) or submitted feature requests to User Voice. This helps us to track all items most efficiently.

Thanks,

Miikka (Skype PM)

On the Release Notes, I think I see what you mean. You're saying you don't want to confuse people by releasing the notes before everyone has it. Right? 

But if it is a release the Insider Program, Insiders should be OK with you releasing the note, and you simply saying "This will roll out in the coming week or so, please keep an eye out for it," or something like that. 

Or am I missing something?  

On the Release Notes, I think I see what you mean. You're saying you don't want to confuse people by releasing the notes before everyone has it. Right? 

But if it is a release the Insider Program, Insiders should be OK with you releasing the note, and you simply saying "This will roll out in the coming week or so, please keep an eye out for it," or something like that. 

Or am I missing something?  

You are correct. And for Insiders, we aim to provide more timely updates on the latest changes, with the disclaimer you mentioned.

Appreciate all feedback and questions, please keep them coming!

Miikka (Skype PM)

Regarding bugs vs features, we are constantly monitoring customer feedback which includes Skype's User Voice but also feedback from all other channels. We are happy to take a look at your list, just please make sure you have reported all problems through the app (on Skype Insider Preview version) or submitted feature requests to User Voice. This helps us to track all items most efficiently.

Thanks,

Miikka (Skype PM)

Yes, I've reported these (and at least some on User Voice, too), but it still leaves me wondering. It would be great if you could tip these into one column or the other (by design/bug).

I'm speaking for Skype 8 (desktop, Windows) and have left out ones that I can guess just are features not implemented yet (e.g. not telling us when a message was edited rather than simply that it was, or the limits of search).

1. Skype's window position isn't remembered on startup (it's centered instead). Not a Skype 7 issue.
  2. "Settings" window doesn't remember its size the next time it's opened after being resized.
  3. No outward notification received upon getting online for a message sent to you when you were offline. You will only know about it if you click into Skype to actively look. Not a Skype 7 issue.
  4. No persistent notification (i.e. taskbar icon changes color) for a new message unless you happen to have the given chat window already open. Not a Skype 7 issue.
  5. URLs are spell-checked when composing a message. Not a Skype 7 issue.
  6. When pasting text into the upper portions of a lengthy message, you'll be scrolled to the bottom of the message, losing your place. Not a Skype 7 issue.
  7. Read receipts do not register if the party receiving the message merely has the Skype chat window open and visible but not clicked on/focused (or if the Skype taskbar icon is not clicked on to bring the window into focus). This leaves the sender unaware of the message's true status.
  8. Skype often adds this demarcation line upon receiving messages: "-----Unread messages-----", and leaves it there until the recipient sends a reply. Even the act of typing a reply and not sending it isn't enough to convince Skype that you've read the message. It's more of an "Unreplied messages" notice than an "Unread" one.
  9. Sometimes Skype doesn't start up in a signed-in state upon rebooting the PC. Instead, if left untouched, the Skype tray icon is grayed, and if I hover the mouse cursor over it, it says "Signed out" (I never sign out). To correct the issue for a given boot, I merely have to click on the the Skype tray icon. When I do, it instantly turns green and contacts can see me. Not a Skype 7 issue.
  10. Cloud export is sloppy, littering the output with HTML tags in some places, impeding readability.
dr
Well done, sir. You are a good service to the community  
Thank you for this topic.

Thanks,

Miikka (Skype PM)

Yes, I've reported these (and at least some on User Voice, too), but it still leaves me wondering. It would be great if you could tip these into one column or the other (by design/bug).

I'm speaking for Skype 8 (desktop, Windows) and have left out ones that I can guess just are features not implemented yet (e.g. not telling us when a message was edited rather than simply that it was, or the limits of search).

1. Skype's window position isn't remembered on startup (it's centered instead). Not a Skype 7 issue.
  2. "Settings" window doesn't remember its size the next time it's opened after being resized.
  3. No outward notification received upon getting online for a message sent to you when you were offline. You will only know about it if you click into Skype to actively look. Not a Skype 7 issue.
  4. No persistent notification (i.e. taskbar icon changes color) for a new message unless you happen to have the given chat window already open. Not a Skype 7 issue.
  5. URLs are spell-checked when composing a message. Not a Skype 7 issue.
  6. When pasting text into the upper portions of a lengthy message, you'll be scrolled to the bottom of the message, losing your place. Not a Skype 7 issue.
  7. Read receipts do not register if the party receiving the message merely has the Skype chat window open and visible but not clicked on/focused (or if the Skype taskbar icon is not clicked on to bring the window into focus). This leaves the sender unaware of the message's true status.
  8. Skype often adds this demarcation line upon receiving messages: "-----Unread messages-----", and leaves it there until the recipient sends a reply. Even the act of typing a reply and not sending it isn't enough to convince Skype that you've read the message. It's more of an "Unreplied messages" notice than an "Unread" one.
  9. Sometimes Skype doesn't start up in a signed-in state upon rebooting the PC. Instead, if left untouched, the Skype tray icon is grayed, and if I hover the mouse cursor over it, it says "Signed out" (I never sign out). To correct the issue for a given boot, I merely have to click on the the Skype tray icon. When I do, it instantly turns green and contacts can see me. Not a Skype 7 issue.
  10. Cloud export is sloppy, littering the output with HTML tags in some places, impeding readability.

This is a great list, thank you!

We will review and check against UserVoice, too. The 9th item in the list is likely a bug and we are looking into that.

Miikka (Skype PM)

"The reason why there's some delay before these posts and before the article you mentioned get updated is that we want the new version and the new features be rolled out for most customers first. We started gradually releasing 8.54 last week and the included features typically get gradually enabled as well. This means it usually takes up to one week before the new version and the new features are available for everyone."

I understand your reason, but It would be nice to know what is changed in the new version at the time it is released.

and even more so, to know what features is on the "server side" .....since it can take months before it is rolled out to all accounts (it took from February 28 until mid June before the missed messages reminder by E-mail started to work on some of my account ......and missed call still don't work) it would save me and others a lot of trouble shooting time!

It would also be really great to know in more detail what  Bug fixes and stability improvements are fixed/improved!!

and if some features is dropped! I reported a lot bugs over the years from inside the Skype ...so if any of those are fixed it would be nice to know.

I don't know if it is deliberate  that the full screen setting  during video calls can't be found ....or if it is a bug in ver 8.54.0.91   ...yes it is reported as a problem in Skype :)  

Thanks 

Discussion Info

Last updated October 16, 2020 Views 2,497 Applies to: