Skype Insider Preview // Skype Presence Updates // 8.36.76.26

This update is available on all platforms 

In this Insider build we have made some updates to your presence on Skype! We have brought back the highly requested Away state and added a new state, Recently Active! Now, at a quick glance, you can see if your contact is online or not. If the contact is Offline you will not see a presence indicator on thier avatar. 

Here's what you can expect to see:

If your status is Recently Active Away 
Contacts will see you as
It means You were active less than an hour ago You were active more than an hour ago
Can you set the status? No Yes

There are no changes to Invisible, Do no Disturb (DnD) and Offline state. If you mark yourself Invisible or Offline, your contacts will not see a presence indicator against your avatar. If you mark yourself DnD, your contacts will see the DnD icon against your avatar. 

Coming soon!

• You will be able to customize the duration after which you are marked Recently Active.
  • Users of the Skype store app for Windows 10 PC will no longer be marked inactive if they have the app running and are either using their keyboard or mouse. 

Please note, for your contacts to see you as Away or Recently Active they will also have to be on the Insiders build. 

Play around with the presence states and send us your feedback! 

The Skype Team 

Forum Article Info

Last updated December 14, 2018 Views 1,355 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

-"Away" wasn't in this build when it came out over the weekend (I see it today), so this must be another of those tricky features that you can enable/disable server-side. You're keeping us on our toes.

-So, "Away" is green with a white dot, and "Online" is pure green?  In reality, when the tray icon is right-clicked, "Away" looks exactly like how you depict "Recently Active."  If you really intend for it to be green, that's going to be visually confusing.

That was written before the top post was in its final form. I see now that you have "Away" as yellow, which matches what I'm seeing.

As for "Recently Active" though, I'm not sold on it being any variation of green. Perhaps some other color would be better.

-Did you mean to write that "Offline" is a state that can be set ("mark yourself")?  It hasn't been since Skype 7.

I think that the post by Karah was edited few minutes ago and mixed up the status information.

In the original post the Away status was yellow and could be set by the user. The Recently Active was hollow green and could not be set by the user. This is how it actually works now on this 8.36.76.26 preview update.

So, the original post was correct, the recently editted is wrong.

As for me, such a circle is confusing,
it is more convenient to see and understand that if there is an extra icon on the icon, it means there are unread messages.

It seems to me in the earlier version that it was, the yellow icon meant that there are unread messages.

It would be correct to change the entire Skype icon to a different color, and thus show the status on the network, but the extra circle makes it clear that there are unread messages.

This implementation with a green icon is confusing.

A solution would be to put the number of unread messages inside the status dot. However, I'm afraid that this is a quite challenging task considering the size of the dot.

On a Windows computer, the number of unread messages is shown now when hovering with the mouse over the status icon.

Best update, I loved the status icon in the system bar

So glad you like! Please keep your feedback coming! 

Karah - Skype PM

It would really be nice to receive more information on how the Activity action is actually managed in this preview version.

This is not easy to verify this by our self, as this requires the Preview version installed on both sides, so I tried with Skype 8.36.76.26 installed on a Windows 8.1 laptop and Skype for Web Preview running in Edge on a Windows 10 tablet.

Preliminary testing results indicate that the Activity action is related to activity on the device, not on Skype. Skype 8.36.76.26 was running, but closed on the 8.1 laptop. After about 5 minutes of not touching the laptop, the Web Preview showed Recently Active, seen 1 minute ago. Going back to laptop, and just clicking on the screen, activated Skype (still closed), so the Presence status changed to Active now.

If this is indeed the case how the Presence status is supposed to work, then this would be perfect, as this is exactly how the normal Skype 7.X version is working. An official confirmation would be very appreciated.

Also, how will this be managed on mobile phone devices? When a phone device is active or not active?

Agreed, also liked the status icon in the status bar of skype

Yes, I think that's definitely intentional, thank goodness, since as you point out that's the way it is in classic Skype.

Proofs of this include the statement above, about that behavior not being in UWP yet but soon:

"Users of the Skype store app for Windows 10 PC will no longer be marked inactive if they have the app running and are either using their keyboard or mouse."

As well as the previous status blog, which said "Going forward, your contacts will see you as Active if the Skype app is running on your computer and you are either using the mouse or the keyboard."

[…]

"Users of the Skype store app for Windows 10 PC will no longer be marked inactive if they have the app running and are either using their keyboard or mouse."

[…]

What does it mean "Skype UWP app" is running? Running in backround (as a service) or opened and minimized on the task bar?