"Sorry but your call cannot be completed"

I work from home and purchase an unlimited calls package recently.

On about 90% of all calls I make I get deep male voice announcing "sorry but your call cannot be completed".

However, if I disregard the announcement and simply wait a while, the call is completed!

This is clearly not a called ID issue, as the calls do finally connect, so why am I getting this problem?

Thanks
Mark

(PS I do not want to add my caller ID as I do not wish to expose my personal mobile number, so this is not a solution and is not the problem anyway)

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi

My name is Daniel. I am an Independent Advisor.

Let me ask you a few questions below:
- Could you please make sure the number is you are trying to call is still valid?
- Have you added the country code in front of the number you are trying to call?
- What happens when you try to call the problematic number from a regular mobile number? Does it work?

Please refer to the following article as well:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum...

Disclaimer:
Please note, This is a peer-to-peer support forum meaning I'm just fellow regular Skype forum users like you who are trying to help other Skype forum users with their Skype issue. So in this case, I'm Non-Microsoft Staff I don't have access to your account nor I'm authorized to do so. I hope we can have a mutual understanding from the beginning to prevent misunderstanding.

Kind Regards
I'm an independent advisor. I'm not a Microsoft staff.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You should contact them on their customer care and get this solve. Usually such kind of issues occur due to some technical errors from server side.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey! Thanks, but I've tried. It's impossible to get through to anyone. Waded through the FAQ - no help. Used the chat bot - just cuts you off as the waits are too long. Bit **** really :((

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Daniel

I'm not sure if you have grasped the question correctly?

- Could you please make sure the number is you are trying to call is still valid?

The problem applies to multiple numbers. About 80% of those I call.

- Have you added the country code in front of the number you are trying to call?

Ive tried it in all possible permutations, 0044 20xxx, 0044 020xxx,+44 20xxx,+44 020xxx, 020xxx. The results are unchanged.

- What happens when you try to call the problematic number from a regular mobile number? Does it work?

As mentioned, the point of the question is that despite the announcement the call is connected if you wait long enough. So it works from Skype, but the message is redundant.

There are occasions when the recipient has a calledID block on. Again I get the "sorry but..." announcement followed by the BT 1572 announcement on these occasions.

If the line is engaged (when tested via another route), I seem to get the "sorry but..." message repeated. It would be much more useful to get an engaged tone, so that I knew that was the issue on the few occasions when the line is busy.

Thanks for replying
Best wishes
Mark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a similar issue from the previous post, apparently, the solution is to set up Caller ID.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum...

You can set up a Skype number as Caller ID instead of using a phone number as the Caller ID. Caller identification using your Skype Number is available in the following countries: USA, UK, Brazil, Chile, Denmark, Estonia, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland.

Kind Regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Daniel, as mentioned, this is not a caller id problem.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You might only rule out Caller ID if you have tried the same number with Caller ID enabled. That might be worth a try to attempt to avoid this behavior on the other end. Whether it is or it is not based on that there are two related things that come to mind.

1. The message plays as an anti-spam call deterrent. A variant to what the Telezapper accomplishes.

2. The message plays while your call is being queued/routed.

This might occur through a particular provider or route. You can contact Skype support over live chat to have them investigate the issue. Recent calls with this behavior would be best to have, prior to contacting them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You might only rule out Caller ID if you have tried the same number with Caller ID enabled. That might be worth a try to attempt to avoid this behavior on the other end. Whether it is or it is not based on that there are two related things that come to mind.

1. The message plays as an anti-spam call deterrent. A variant to what the Telezapper accomplishes.

2. The message plays while your call is being queued/routed.

This might occur through a particular provider or route. You can contact Skype support over live chat to have them investigate the issue. Recent calls with this behavior would be best to have, prior to contacting them.

Indeed, which is why out of the 50+ calls on which I have experienced this, I called two of them from my mobile direct with calledID withheld and was connected with no problem.

I reiterate, that when calledID withhold is the problem, there is a 1572 message that states the recipient has chosen to restrict the calls received. (All of my calls are to the UK. This message is not generated by the recipient, but immediately by Skype.)

Why would you play a message that states you call cannot be connected whilst routing a call. That is completely stupid. A message that says "please wait while your call is routed" makes sense, but not a message that states "Sorry your call cannot be completed" before completing the call...

I have tried to contact Skype. Tweeted last week. DM'ed last week. Tried the FAQ. Tried the chatbot several times. Is there a better way to get support? I cannot find it, hence taking to the forum in the hope of a sensible answer...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If so then I'd like your account to be investigated igated by Skype live agent to determine the best next steps for you, unfortunately, as a Community Advisor, I'm not authorized to access your account. Please visit this link: https://go.skype.com/ssc.chat.45

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Disabling Caller ID on your phone, while a valid test, is not the same as temporarily enabling Caller ID in your Skype account. I listed some possibilities. This does not mean that Skype is generating these messages, nor did I suggest that. Somewhere along the route this is occurring which is likely not the same exact route your mobile is taking when placing calls. The anonymous calls from Skype (which might have a particular injected ID) could still be handled differently by BT or another provider/node. Due to these variables, I already suggested you contact support. I provided a direct link to chat in my last response. DanielTech appeared to provide a similar link as well. Hopefully they will narrow down the underlying cause using your recent calls to investigate.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 3,289 Applies to: