making calls

i payed for a new number. why can i not call anyone and it is asking for credit? I just paid for it so why can i not call any numbers?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi

My name is Daniel. I am an Independent Advisor and consumer of Microsoft products, I will be more than happy to help you.

Please make sure few things below:
1. Please make sure other person doesn't block you.
2. Please make sure to add country code in front of number you are trying to call
3. Please make sure you are not connected to VPN/Proxy server, if yes then for troubleshooting purpose please disable them for a while.
4. Please make sure you have set up Caller ID because there are some telecommunications service providers that restrict calls from unknown numbers. https://support.skype.com/faq/FA1248

Please also visit the article below and answer diagnostic questions to find out the real issue and let me know how it goes: https://support.skype.com/faq/FA33

Looking forward to hear your reply so I can assist you further assistance.

Kind Regards
I'm an independent advisor. I'm not a Microsoft staff.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you purchased a Skype Number, it is only a landline number (an incoming subscription) in which only incoming calls are covered. It does not come with any bundled outgoing minutes (local or long distance). Making outbound calls still requires Skype credit or a calling subscription that covers the cost of calls to the phone numbers you are dialing.

What are the different types of Skype subscriptions and pay-as-you-go options?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I shut off my VPN, dialed 1, no need for rest. But same, asking for credit. Checked your link and it said Skype Credit or a subscription was needed. But then what did i pay for? When I used to have Skype in the past all I needed was a number, what I got today. So then why can I not make calls to phones? Please don't tell me I have to pay for both the number and a sub or credit to use it. I will be beyond most unhappy. For one, what is the point of having the number if you cant use it, the other being that the price to get a number doubled. So, in that case, why should I have to pay extra to use it? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

May I ask you, do you see your credit purchase listed on this page?
https://secure.skype.com/wallet/account/orders

Kind Regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I seen the email confirm, not this exactly. It says Skype Number, 1 month subscription. So then, why can I not make calls? I tried calling one of my cell phones but same thing. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Skype Number subscription does not provide you any cost of making outgoing calls to other phone numbers. Skype Number subscription makes it possible to receive calls from phone numbers, but not making calls.

If you want to be able to make calls to other phone numbers, then you need credit or a subscription covering calling these phone numbers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please visit this link below, do you see your credit purchase listed on this page?
https://secure.skype.com/wallet/account/orders

If you don't purchase credit or subscription then you won't be able to make calls, Purchasing Skype number doesn't mean you can make calls.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

well that is beyond messed up. in my days with skype, and i was signed up with them from the beginning, it was not that way. When you bought (though in the beginning it was free) a number you could makes calls to land line or cell. Now it is way too confusing. Why, please tell me why, I would buy a number that I can not even use? Also, in the past (when things were better) you bought a subscription, which included a number, which makes sense. Now it makes no sense at all. 

When Microsoft bought them out, all seemed fine, at first for many years, but now ... this is madness. Also, one would have thought with them there would be better CS but not. So now I will have to ask for a refund. Unless I get a better more sensible answer as to why I should not. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are remembering incorrectly. Skype was never that way. There were times when a Skype number known as an Online number/Skype In, at the time, was included with the purchase of a calling subscription as a promo, in some regions. Not the other way around. Some people renewed that promo for quite some time, allowing their landline number to renew without incurring any extra charge. However, even those promos were discontinued years ago, dropping the free online landline number. The majority of users, like myself, have paid separately for a Skype Number and calling subscription for over a decade, even before Microsoft purchased Skype. The standard promo in place, was a 50 percent discount for a yearly purchase of a Skype Number, if you had an existing/ongoing calling subscription (before purchasing/renewing the number).

Paying for a landline number without bundled calling minutes has been the standard for decades. The only thing that modified people's perceptions of this is expensive landline and mobile bundles. Bundles which have generally been hundreds of dollars, way more expensive than the cost of a Skype number, even after purchasing a separate calling subscription.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First off that may be somewhat correct as I had it for decades. Ok? Second, in the beginning I was in communication with the original owner/creators and I believe they cut me a deal. And that had continued till I was unable to make payments (do to homelessness) two years or so ago but my account stayed active. So, maybe, it was locked in and maybe I had hoped it would stay the same, guess not. So, I have cancelled and better get a refund or just cancel charging my card as I see it is still pending. 

So, I'm stuck with Google Voice (least it is free) till they get stupid about it, which they are anyway in many ways. Rich people suck. Let the poor suffer but then try to rape them for all the money they do not have. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 33 Applies to: