Skype freezes the system completely - PC needs restarting to work again (3 instances in 3 days)

Hi,

I have a new PC and already 3 times Skype froze the system when I was in the middle of a videoconference.

The first time it happened (Wednesday), everything just stopped working, everything froze, I couldn't do anything, but the person I spoke with could still see my screen and see me (all instances as I recall happened during screen sharing - I was sharing my screen). When I moved my mouse I got a strange beeping sound. The only thing I could do was to restart my PC, as even ctrl-alt-del didn't do a thing, everything was completely frozen.

The second time it happened (Friday), it happened twice on one day, around 7:30 AM and around 9 AM. The same thing as above, everything froze, waited and kept talking for three minutes as maybe it would unfreeze but it didn't. Reset PC and everything goes back to normal. 

What is the issue? Below I attach my logs from those days (2 files - one from Wed [1 event] and one from Fri [2 events]), from the beginning of the call till the end. Please help!

https://gofile.io/?c=Ohs4JZ

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello PiotrLuniewski, my name is Emmanuel. A Skype Expert Advisor and a user for several years. I'll be more than happy to assist you today!

I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with Skype. Have you tried to update your Skype app to the latest version?

Hope this information can help you.
Let me know if this works for you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Emmanuel, thanks for reaching out! I downloaded Skype from the official website on Tuesday (when I got my PC, I installed also all the current updates that Windows showed me) so I think it was the latest version. However, today I uninstalled Skype and reinstalled it once again downloading it from the official website (version 8.57).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I see. I would recommend applying the troubleshooting steps suggested on this thread by updating drivers on your computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum... as I believe that this can be helpful in fixing your skype video call issue that freezes.

I will be around in case you need further help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, the Event Viewer logs do not provide any useful information. Most of them are originating from a remote device or are "niedostepne".

Please,  run the DirectX diagnostics tool.

Go to Windows Start  and in the Run box type dxdiag.exe and press the OK button. This will start the DirectX diagnostics program. Run this diagnostics and save the results to a file.

Since there is no Attachment option yet available on this Forum, you may post the saved file to a File Sharing site (e.g. OneDrive) and provide here a link to this site.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ruwim.B! I did what you asked me to, but I don't see any problems here, below there's a link to the results of the DirectX diagnostics:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AvZtedXII3k6gcM5MXtE1ENGCwywoA?e=mkx5k7

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The DirectX diagnostics file doesn't show anything that directly can explain the freezing events.

However, it appears that you don't have any microphone or webcam connected to your computer. Were you able to start or answer a call without a microphone or did you run the DirectX tool with a headset disconnected?

There are several crash reports related to the new Microsoft Edge. Was Edge browser involved in screen sharing?

The only other errors reported were related to failed update of a headset device, I guess.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The DirectX diagnostics file doesn't show anything that directly can explain the freezing events.

However, it appears that you don't have any microphone or webcam connected to your computer. Were you able to start or answer a call without a microphone or did you run the DirectX tool with a headset disconnected?

There are several crash reports related to the new Microsoft Edge. Was Edge browser involved in screen sharing?

The only other errors reported were related to failed update of a headset device, I guess.

Ruwim.B, I ran DirectX diagnostics several times now, with pen tablet, webcam and headset, without, in different usb slots and still no problems.

Yet, yesterday the same problem happened and after 4 instances I noticed that all those times I was sharing one of the screens with Microsoft Word and pen tablet (Star G640 - drivers installed before crashes, also checked for new ones after, but I have the latest) as I was writing on a document with a pen. 

Yesterday, however, for the first time I saw some breakthrough, in logs there's info that there was application hang of dwm.exe and I installed new drivers for my processor and my graphics card. Can I do anything else? I really wouldn't like to be surprised again in such a way.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please, run the System Information tool (msinfo32)

Go to Windows Start and in the Run box type msinfo32.exe and press the OK button. This will open the System Information window.  In this window click on File and select Export. Save the msinfo.txt file to your hard drive and post this file on your File Sharing site.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can still not see anything that can directly be related to screen sharing with Skype. The latest error messages seems again to point to an issue with the Edge browser.

If the updates you have done recently will not help, then I would suggest to try to disable the Bitdefender Security application.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2023 Views 1,531 Applies to: