Why is there no video when calling my international contact

My U.S contacts work just fine when video calling skype to skype on windows laptop.

But there is no video on both ends when contacting my girlfriend in the Philippines.

Only Audio.

I am also having this issue on my linux desktop.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe this will come back in stages. I just don't know. Keep checking and provide an update when you can.

Will do, if anything changes. Today's attempt was using PC to PC, both using the latest version 8.97.0.204 ... otherwise I've moved all contacts over to Zoom, where things work just fine. Even contacts with whom Skype works fine, I have them now on Zoom, just as a precautionary measure, in that I no longer trust Microsoft for much of anything. ... Just look at how forthcoming Microsoft's been on this issue, lol. How can they expect people to trust anymore, when even the moderators remain in the dark. Definitely a stellar example of how NOT to run a business.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

FYI:

There are now (literally) thousands of trans-oceanic cables now. Each cable also carries designated routing. As others have said, Microsoft has had more than enough time to resolve this (apparent) routing issue. I guess that we (Skype and Teams users) can take some comfort in the fact that this issue is 'starting' to be resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Waco, I just tried Skype to the Philippines. I am in Colorado and I still experiencing 'no video' to the Philippines.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, looks like I spoke too soon. I had video earlier this evening and now in the dark again: no video. Sorry if I got everyone's hopes up. I can't imagine what the heck is going on.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No Worries. Let's hope that MS is working on it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had video earlier this evening but now it's not working again. Sorry for the confusion. I have no idea what's going on.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FYI:

There are now (literally) thousands of trans-oceanic cables now. Each cable also carries designated routing. As others have said, Microsoft has had more than enough time to resolve this (apparent) routing issue. I guess that we (Skype and Teams users) can take some comfort in the fact that this issue is 'starting' to be resolved.

I am one of the people who monitor these cables, 24/7/365 just to note any internet disruptions (none have occurred). While it is true that each cable has a designated routing (and bandwidth capability), in most all cases, wherein there's a routing issue, the traffic can most always be re-routed, and be done in a timely fashion. Such is the 'nature' of how things work.

It's easy to find a disruption in the routing infrastructure, very easy. Then it's just a simple matter of rerouting until the routing problem (usually a switch) in question can be fixed, which is typically at the landing site for the undersea cable(s). If the problem is due to a fiber cut, which happens often in Southeast Asia, there are 'always' rerouting plans 'on hold' for 'just in case' scenarios. This rerouting occurs almost immediately, though the cable(s) to which conventional traffic is routed to may result in higher latency and lower bandwidth due to cable restraints, the situation is usually corrected in a matter of hours if it's a landing site issue. If it's an undersea cut, it may take weeks, until the ships that do the repair get on station and have calm seas. ... But all the rerouting necessary is in place. It's called "network redundancy"

Edit to add: If/when Skype comes back up and remains operational for a period of two weeks, then the issue is most likely fixed. However, I am stunned by Microsoft's silence on this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the information, but I'm wondering why fiber cuts would happen more often in southeast Asia? Could it be due to commercial fishing? Military activity? Island building? And if that's the case, where's the re-routing? And why only Skype while other platforms seem to be working just fine? And, as we have all noted, why wouldn't Microsoft just let customers know if it's just a damaged cable?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Very interesting and good information Dino.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the information, but I'm wondering why fiber cuts would happen more often in southeast Asia? Could it be due to commercial fishing? Military activity? Island building? And if that's the case, where's the re-routing? And why only Skype while other platforms seem to be working just fine? And, as we have all noted, why wouldn't Microsoft just let customers know if it's just a damaged cable?

The main reason, in the past, was fiber cuts due to seismic activity (Ring of Fire). Always a bit of shaking going on each day it seems, dislodging rocks (big rocks) and commercial fishing has been known to cause some issues in the area as well. But, all of these issues did Not take this long to fix, even in the BIG quakes.

These days another consideration is geopolitical in nature. One "Never" allows any of their traffic to be routed or even rerouted through certain countries, like the one doing the island building withing the South China Sea area. And, the countries in that area should be wary of signing any "deals" with said country, especially if such deals involve investing in the infrastructure within the country.

As for why Skype video is the only platform seemingly affected, one might question as to how heavily Microsoft is involved in "said" country. Let's not forget, major search engines are blocked within that country, with the exception being Bing.

I've no idea why Microsoft would not be more forthcoming with an explanation as to what the problem is. To my knowledge, there have been no fiber cuts in the area. I am always keeping an eye on the status of PLDT and other countries in the area, insofar as the internet is concerned. ... Nonetheless, Microsoft, by now, should have been able to resolve this issue, either by rerouting (if a cable issue), or simply coming here, to this forum, and describing "exactly" what the problem is. Their silence is deafening. ... Perhaps their silence is due to embarrassment. ... By any stretch, this issue should have been fixed within a matter of a week to ten days. As to why it remains an issue, it's a total mystery, and one can only guess as to what the problem(s) may be 'within' Microsoft itself, as a company.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2024 Views 2,588 Applies to: