The auto-assigned "Skype Name" (live:) is inappropriate

I signed up for Skype using my Microsoft account (and work email address). The system did not allow me to pick the "Skype Name" which appears after the "Live:" - and the name auto-assigned by the system is the first part of my email address (what's before the @) followed by the number used to describe a specific sexual act. I can not have this number in my user name. Please advise on how I can change this immediately.  I am rather embarrassed and could not distribute this user name as it is unprofessional. And, since the account is for work and uses my work email, I can't delete the account altogether because it would delete my entire Microsoft account. 

Hi KaraMarketing,

Thank you for reaching out to Skype Community.

There isn't any option to select your Skype username neither an option to change or edit an existing Skype ID.

I suggest you create a new Skype account using a different email with your preferred Skype name since Live ID is generate based from the email address you will use to register.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Regards,

Mark_N13
Skype Community Moderator

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mark. 

Having "_69" as my automatically assigned username makes me seem like a sleazy teenager instead of an adult professional.  It is not part of my email address; it was thrown on the end of my email address by Skype, and it is a widely known euphemism for a sexual act. The fact that this unchangeable username of "(my work email)_69" is attached to my work Microsoft account is outrageous.  I will not sacrifice another email address or my phone number to your system when I have no input towards the outcome.  

I am extremely disappointed in situation. And after reviewing the forums, I am not the only one. I hope you can pass information up the ladder and let your coding department know how upset people are about the inability to adjust our user names. After looking through other questions in the forum along this same idea, I've come to realize it's not at all a positive business practice. It's not just about people being picky.  We are concerned for our personal privacy and safety, as well as our professional identities.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Kara

You can create and personalize a new Microsoft account ID.

Click this link: https://signup.live.com/signup and select Get a new email address. From that page, you will be able to personalize your preferred email address, which is your new Microsoft account that you can use to log in to Skype.

Let me know if that helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was reading your post, and whilst I am sure you are quite right in your concerns, I have a number of friends who have the number 69 in their e-mail addresses as it is the year of their birth (1969).

I really hope you get your issue sorted out, and your e-mail changed, but I'd bet that more people think that you are 49 years old rather than a sleazy teenager.

Just a thought from an ordinary person of the public who came across your post whilst looking for an answer regarding auto assigned e-mail addresses.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your input, Alison. Let's hope you're right, because it's very embarrassing otherwise!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 2, 2021 Views 11,310 Applies to: