Skype Insider Preview // Release Notes for Skype 8.60.76.73

The latest Insider build 8.60 is out and it’s BIG! We have some really cool features for you like an option to change your background during the call, create moderated groups, choose your own message reactions and many more. Plus some bug fixes, performance and stability improvements as usual. 

What's New? 

• Boring background? Or did you forget to clean up your room? No worries, just change the camera background!
  • Change your message reactions! With this feature you can use any existing emoticon as a message reaction. Just use /addreactions and have some fun. You can always remove it with /removereactions or /resetreactions commands.
  • Somebody kicked you out from the group? Teachers this one is for you because we love your feedback! From now on you can create new Moderated Groups! Nobody can mute you or kick you out anymore.
  • New grid view! So you can see up to 10 participants during the video call.
  • Control my screen – a simple remote control feature while screensharing
  • Enable global shortcuts - so you can perform Skype actions even when the app is minimized or not in focus. You will find it in Settings – General under Accessibility
  • Support for system dark theme under iOS 13

What’s fixed?

• We've fixed some notifications in Skype for Android

The new features are rolling out gradually over the next couple of days so if you don’t see them right away, just check again soon!    

Please let us know what you think about the latest changes, either here in the community or through the Skype app. And you can always go to Skype’s User Voice to submit and vote for new features and ideas.  

Stay safe

 The Skype Team  

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

How is that we still don't have a "Disable message reactions"? For people who don't use them, do you understand how annoying it is to see a smiley face inviting you to react to Every Single Incoming Message? How hard would it be to add a toggle to settings for that (yes, this was written up in Uservoice years ago)? Instead, you add an obscure ability to change them? Seriously?!

Fixed: The problem some had been seeing over the last few months where incoming messages would stop and the other party would see you listed as "Last seen days ago." This required a profile reset to fix every time it cropped up.

The option to create Moderated Groups is the most important new feature. However, what about the Meet Now groups? Will they still be "hostless" or there will be an option to convert them to a Moderated group?

It also appears that the Moderator can remove messages sent by other group members, so the group is "truly moderated". This feature was available with the classic Skype 7 version, but was removed in the Skype 8 version. Now it is available again. Great job.

Is this the extent of the commands?

Yes. I'm seeing the same list. However, the /golive command is available too, even though not shown in the list.

The option to create Moderated Groups is the most important new feature. However, what about the Meet Now groups? Will they still be "hostless" or there will be an option to convert them to a Moderated group?

Hi Ruwim.B,

The team is already looking into this but there is no ETA on it yet. Cannot promise anything now 

Petr [Skype]

This desktop version of Skype has the same bug I have reported before. I can't type a message. I click on a conversation and start typing just to realize nothing is happening. I then have to click again in the message area and start typing my message all over again. I'm usually in a hurry when this happens.

Why can't this simple thing get fixed? I have seen it reported many times and Skype version 7 did not have this problem. No other IM program has this issue that I am aware of.

Skype frustrates me every day can we at least get this bug fixed!

- Robert Campbell

I'm surely the slow guy here, just when the below says "Just use," where does it means to type these commands? And is this different for insider apps from desktop, store, or android?

"Just use /addreactions and have some fun. You can always remove it with /removereactions or /resetreactions commands.

Type and send this chat command:

The Ambulance emoji will now be available as the "reaction emoji".

Have useless fun with the extra reaction options.

when will the new Windows version be available?

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 27, 2020 Views 4,081 Applies to: