Skype Insider Preview // 8.38.76.114

Skype Insider Preview // 8.38.76.114

Hello, Skype Insiders! The new builds are out, let us know what you think!  

• Store app version 8.38.76.114 for iPhone, iPad, Android 6+, and Android tablets
  • Desktop app version 8.38.76.114 for Windows, Mac, and Linux
  • Web version 8.38.76.114

What's new?

• Skype for Web Preview: Adding a badge icon to the Skype for Web Preview tab on web to indicate unreaded conversations.
  • Mobile platforms: We have now overhauled our call controls so you can perform the important actions in calls more easily. 
  • You can send GIF directly from the expression picker now!

What was fixed:

• We're aware that some of you were experiencing the bug in your clients: messages were sent back to you in separated chat ("chat with yourself"). This shouldn't be happening after yesterday's fix and second fix is coming very soon so those chats will go away. Thank you for your logs and feedback!

Known Issues:

• Store app for Windows 10 PC: Issues with recording and sending video messages, we're on it!

Coming Soon:

• Desktop platforms: Updates to the in-call chat panel
  • Ringless calling in 1 person group

Check out the current version and please provide us the feedback here in the forums or in the app by (gently) shaking your device or going to Skype → Help and feedback. We can't wait for your insight!

Heads up, we roll out small updates to preview builds as we get them ready for the general public. We'll keep this post updated as new features and bug fixes are rolled out. You can always see the current version numbers in the Skype Flight Hub.

Please note also builds are released slowly over time so you might not see new builds right away on all of your devices. If we ever stop a rollout because of the feedback you've provided, we'll let you know.

Thank you for all you do to support Skype,

The Skype Squads

Forum Article Info

Last updated August 6, 2019 Views 869 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

What is the link to download this updated version?

When I try to update within my current Skype Preview, it says update failed.

Hello Katie! What is your latest version and in which platform are you using preview build? :)
Sarka [Microsoft]

I am currently using 8.36.76.38.

On Windows 10. 

I like the desktop revision of Skype - not the app.

>You can always see the current version numbers in the Skype Flight Hub.

If it were still Halloween, I would agree, but that Flight Hub post is almost always well out-of-date (ignore that "Last updated" date near the top--that's an annoying forum bug that I wish would be fixed). Probably time to come up with a new system that doesn't involve manual intervention. Apply some AI. :)

The Desktop feature additions have really slowed over the last month or two (yes, I see the mention of relocation above, but I'm talking about slightly more important things here). How is that effort coming along?  There is still a lot of low-hanging and lofty fruit that needs picking, as you're well aware from other posts here and Uservoice.

I have the following issue with this version (desktop 8.38.76.114) - whenever I click on Quit Skype I see the process called Skype 32 (which by any logic should stop since I quit Skype) in Task manager immediately taking up more than 20% of CPU. And it won't stop until I end it manually. Windows 10 with the latest system and driver updates.

Can you solve it or tell me what to do to get rid of it? Very annoying.

Each time the preview version is quitted, the application starts to create a new log file. These log files are located in this folder:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\logs\

This process can take quite a long time and consumes significant CPU resources.

Hello Katie, try this link please, it should give you the latest version. However the client should be auto updated so if you can send us BRB (logs) from your client it can help us to investigate why is it not happening! :) 
Sarka [Microsoft]

Is it only true about this Preview version? I would install the normal one if it had all those recent status features and didn't have the above mentioned bug.

On a related note, can you advise when those status updates will finally reach the full desktop version?

Each time the preview version is quitted, the application starts to create a new log file. These log files are located in this folder:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\logs\

This process can take quite a long time and consumes significant CPU resources.

Yes, they are created, but would that be the reason some can see the CPU issue upon exit?  The files are tiny (a few hundred KB), which unless they're being written to floppy should be a mere blip in the grand scheme of what Windows does at any given moment just as part of its normal operations.

Maybe in some cases the files are huge?  I'd be curious what the size of the files are for anyone seeing the problem.

On a very-much-not-new box here that runs Win10, Skype Preview exits quickly and without incident.

On a related note, can you advise when those status updates will finally reach the full desktop version?

Hi Lana_MS,

We're working on a bunch of cool new things, as they are ready to be released, we'll keep  you updated in this forum. We can't commit to specific timing on upcoming features or app updates because releases are data-driven. We release only when our data tells the quality is high enough for the next ring. Thank you for running our Insider builds!! 

Karah - Skype Team