Skype icon on taskbar disappears

The Skype icon on taskbar disappears occasionally. When I check Windows Settings "Select which icons appear on the taskbar", I see duplicate entries for "Skype" and "Skype.exe", 1 on and other off. The icon reappears by turning it on. Whether I leave other on or off, later icon disappears and in alternating fashion 1 turned off by itself.

|

Hello D W, Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Community. My name is Raymond and I'm happy to help. Sorry for this inconvenience. I understand that Skype icon disappears from your taskbar. Skype.exe is the executable file that runs the Skype application. Go to your installed programs and check if you have Skype and Skype for Windows installed on your PC (different Skype). Also, you could try the following: 1. Uninstall Skype and reinstall the latest version. 2. Check for any Windows updates and install the latest ones. 3. If the issue persists, try resetting the Windows taskbar settings to their default state: To reset the Windows taskbar settings to their default state, follow these steps: 1. Right-click on the taskbar and select "Taskbar settings". 2. In the Taskbar settings window, click on the "Reset" button at the bottom. 3. Click "Reset" again to confirm. Alternatively, you can also try the following method: 1. Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app. 2. Click on "System". 3. Click on "Taskbar" from the left menu. 4. Click on the "Reset taskbar settings" button. 5. Click "Reset" to confirm. This will restore the taskbar settings to their default state, removing any customizations or changes you've made. Please let me know if you need more assistance. Give back to the Community, Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. Regards

Raymond K
Understand that I do not have access to any user's account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you have Skype for Windows 10/11 installed from Microsoft Store installed on your computer, then be aware that due to a bug in this application, this application's icon disappears from the System Tray after each update of the software. However, you will find this icon in the Hidden Icons button and can move it to the Tray.

Skype for Desktop application installed from Skype.com is not affected by this bug.

You can see which applications is running on your computer by looking up for this application in Task Manager.

The Store application will be shown as Skype, while the Desktop application is shown as Skype (32 bit). The Store application is 64-bit application.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 15, 2024 Views 13 Applies to: