"Skype can't find a camera attached to your device" - I can't make video calls

Hi, 

For the past few days my camera is not working. It worked just fine untill a few days ago when i just opened the skype and when I tried to do a video call I was getting this message "Skype can't find a camera attached to your device". I uninstalled skype and installed it again and again just to see if it's working but it's still not. I don't know what to do to make it work, I tried to go to "Tools" and see if I at least can see myself in settings but it's still not working. Does anybody know what means that message and how can I fix the promlem? 

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

1. Windows Key+I > Privacy > Camera > Make sure that Let apps use my camera hardware is ON
Also down below Choose apps that can use your camera is ON for Skype

2. Use the Hardware & Devices Troubleshooter
Type Troubleshoot in Windows Start Search box > Click Troubleshoot > Scroll down & Click Hardware & Devices > Click Run the Troubleshooter & follow on-screen directions > Restart the computer after troubleshooting is completed

3. Reset the Skype
Windows Key+I > Apps > Locate Skype > Advanced Options > Reset
Go to Microsoft Store > Click 3 horizontal dots on top right > Downloads and Updates > Check if there is any update for this app > If yes, update it.

4. Uninstall and reinstall Skype app (Note - You will not lose any Skype data because of this)
Uninstall
Windows Key+X > Windows Powershell (Admin) > Copy the below, paste into Powershell > Enter

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage

Reinstall
Copy and paste below and Enter

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.SkypeApp | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

5. To isolate the issue, can you make call using either Web Skype or Classic Skype (Download)

Web Skype - https://web.skype.com/

Download and install Classic Skype - https://go.skype.com/classic.skype

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for answering me so fast. I tried literally everything on that list but it's not working, not even the web Skype, I still can't make video calls. I installed Classic Skype as well, and still not working. I just don't understand what happened all of the sudden, why it stopped working without me doing something? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does your camera show up under Cameras or Imaging Devices in your Device Manger?

If it does not and no unknown devices are displayed that points to a hardware issue or the camera has been disabled by a hotkey (possibly accidentally). If it shows in Device Manager as a working device then an issue may exist with the drivers or camera privacy settings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

It's not showing me at all "Camera"/"Imaging Devices" in Device Manager. Is there anything I can do to make it work? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If it is an external camera you can try to plug it into another USB port preferably directly connected without the use of a USB hub.

If it is an internal camera, it may have been disabled by a hot key. Consult your laptop documentation for a keyboard hot key that re-enables it. The option my also exist in the computer's UEFI/BIOS.  If it is a physical problem the internal cabling may be a fault. Try fulling extending and closing your laptop lid to see if the device get re-detected. Some people also lightly press or pinch the area around the camera lens, and that causes the camera to be picked up again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

It's internal, I tried to find the hotkey but sadly I could not.. I also tried to close the lid and open it again but still didn't fix the problem. I tried to pinch it too, but still no results. I don't know what to do, and I am not really a bright one when it comes to computers, but if I really don't find a way to solve it I think I will just try to open it. Literally open it. :'(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can always purchase an inexpensive external webcam, if the internal is not working. If you provide the model of device, I can see if there are known hotkeys or software that disables/enables the webcam from detection. If you did not see any unknown or problem devices in device manager then I doubt the issue is driver related.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much!

It's Dell Latitude E6520. I know I can always buy an external webcam, but just the thought of having to deal with it all the time it's giving me a headache. About the device menager, I am not even sure I did it right, I just looked for the Camera/Imaging Devices and that's all. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sometimes some Dell updates (not Skype/Windows updates) disable the onboard camera. The best location to check if it is currently enabled, is in your BIOS.  To enter your BIOS on that computer, you need to press "F2" once or a few times after the computer power cycles and before Windows loads. In the "Miscellaneous Devices" area, make sure "Enable Camera" is checked. If it is not, check it, save the settings, reboot then see if your camera is detected and functional.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It was checked. I run the computer and it was not working. I closed it again and I took a look again there to see really if it's checked before replaying to you. It was still checked and i really did nothing else than run the computer. I checked in search bar "camera" and open it and it opened! I opened skype and I saw that i am able to do the video calls again. I don't know what I did but it helped.

Thank you very much!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2021 Views 30,020 Applies to: