Skype Automatically starts with no option to stop, and no option to close except through Task Manager

When I started up my Laptop this morning, I found Skype running automatically. I went to close the program, but there is no right-click option for Quit anymore on the icon in the Notification area. How do I close Skype without having to kill it in the Task Manager?

Additionally, there is no option within the Settings to stop Skype from automatically starting when Windows starts. What happened to this option? How do I stop Skype from automatically starting when I start Windows?

Answer
Answer
Hi Moosebowl,
I am Vijay, an Independent Advisor. I am here to work with you on this problem.

To solve both the problems, use Skype for Desktop instead - https://go.skype.com/windows.desktop.download

What you are using is Store app of Skype which doesn't offer either of things which you need.

Both versions will co-exist together and will interfere with each other. But at one time, you can run only one.

If you need to disable Windows 10 Store Skype app as this might keep getting started up -

Uninstall - Windows Key+X > Click Windows Powershell (Admin) > Copy the below and paste into Powershell and Enter

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage

Do let me know if you require any further help on this. Will be glad to help you.
Best regards
Vijay Verma

Timezone: UTC+05:30, PST+12:30
Availability Hours (UTC) : 05:00 AM - 05:00 PM

96 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 21, 2020 Views 5,710 Applies to: