Skype App Data Folder Missing (directs me to Roottools instead)

I recently upgraded to a windows 10 laptop after mine crashed. I saved my entire old laptop's hard drive all find and dandy, so that's great. I want to access old skype logs on this new laptop but have run into a brick wall.

On the new laptop, whenever I try the %appdata%/Skype , which is supposed to bring me to the skype folder where I can select my user name and basically transfer my chat logs from the old laptop, it sends me to this folder called RootTools which is empty. My previous Skype was windows 8 based for reference, but I am not sure that's the problem.

I figured it might be a busted folder so I scoured through my new laptop looking for my Skype folder with my username. I got everything else but the folder I need. The actual folder labeled skype lead me into RootTools folder, then to a roottools.conf. 

All I want is to transfer my logs but I keep running into this problem and have completely confused myself. I feel as though it is a simple problem and I am just missing something. Or maybe I am transferring my logs wrong? I am trying to follow the directions posted here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA392/how-do-i-manage-my-conversation-history-in-skype-for-windows-desktop 

Guidance would be wonderful.

Hello BriannaMiller,

Welcome to Skype Community forum!

We understand that you want to copy the logs of your Skype account from the old device to the new one.

Did you copy the entire Skype name folder that you have on the old computer and save it on a USB? The link you have provided is the right way to transfer the logs, though the conversation are stored on cloud for the last 30 days. You can access it whenever you signed in with any device.

Thanks!

Jee_D
Skype Community Moderator

If my reply provided you with a solution to your issue please mark my reply as a solution by clicking "Solved my problem" below.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I guess that you have now the new Microsoft Skype for Windows 10 (Skype UWP) application installed.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34664/finding-your-way-around-skype-for-windows-10?platform=uwp

Location of the Profile folder in Skype UWP is different.

%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeApp_kzf8qxf38zg5c\LocalState\

To get your old chat history transplated to the new Skype for Windows 10, you should paste the main.db file from the old Skype, to the new Profile location.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_win10-skype_messms/skype-for-windows-10-chat-history-not-displaying/f09c65e4-d76e-4c30-8c4c-fba6c26a72d8

However, it may be also easier for you to continue to use the classic Skype for Windows Desktop, where the location of the Profile folder is the same as on your old computer. You can install the classic Skype using this link:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This was very helpful! I managed to get my logs on the app, as I can see them when I search for a keyword, the only problem I have now is when I try and go to older logs it wont scroll up the chat history far enough.

So where should I go from here? Is there something I can do to get the app to function or am I ditching it entirely and just going back to the desktop. (I have the desktop version downloaded as well for safe keeping, but the logs dont show up on there yet).

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. I have a Windows 10 and I recently deleted a conversation on skype that i would like to get back.

When I went through most of the steps listed here, they worked until i got to main.db and it would not open. Is there any way to work around this?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After the Microsoft Skype for Windows 10 (Skype UWP) was updated to the 12.X version, the location of the local chat history has changed . Chats are no longer saved in the main.db file but in skype.db file.

%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeApp_kzf8qxf38zg5c\LocalState\<Skype Name>\skype.db

This means that transferring chats from the classic Skype to Skype UWP is no longer possible.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, I can't get the conversation back?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have deleted the conversation using Microsoft Skype for Windows 10 (the 12.X version) then this conversation is deleted both locally and from the Cloud. If this conversation was not saved on any other device, then it can no longer be retrieved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2022 Views 23,953 Applies to: