Release Notes for Skype 8.56

The latest Skype version 8.56 is out. We have done quite a bunch of bug fixes and there’s also a cool new feature making it easier to quote using your keyboard with Skype on desktop. Long-time Skype users might remember a similar feature from the past versions of Skype but this time the feature is configurable to suit your preferences. You asked, we delivered!

Skype for Windows, Mac, Linux and Web

• Instantly Quotable: You can now use keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste quotes on Windows and Mac. Turn it on in Settings  >  Messaging  >  Paste copied messages as quotes to try it out. Learn more about this. (Not available in Skype for Windows 10 (version 14)).
  • Bug fixes and stability improvements:  We smashed some bugs, but a quick trip through the car wash cleaned the windshield quite nicely.

Skype for Android, iPhone and iPad

• Bug fixes and stability improvements:  We smashed some bugs, but a quick trip through the car wash cleaned the windshield quite nicely.

What’s fixed?

• Sys tray icon should not appear offline anymore after a computer launch.
  • Split view should not get disabled by itself anymore.
  • When using split view, new messages sync now better in open chat windows.
  • Auto-answering working better when the app was backgrounded on desktop.

The improved quoting feature is rolling out gradually over the next couple of days so if you don’t see it right away, just check again soon!

Please let us know what you think about the latest changes, either here in the community or through the Skype app. And you can always go to Skype’s User Voice to submit and vote for new features and ideas.  You might also want to check out the known issues.

Thank you for all that you do to support Skype!

The Skype Team

Discussion Info

Last updated March 29, 2020 Views 2,523 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi

Thanks for more clearly say "What's fixed" ..."Bug fixes and stability improvements" ...really don't say that much.

Edit: 

Would be nice if you did the same for What's new for Android to:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34770/what-s-new-in-skype-on-mobile?q=What%27s+new+in+Skype+for+android

If you  could say  what is "server side" updates (since those can take a long time to roll out.....in my own experiences several mounts before they reach all accounts  ) and if you please could updated the pages when you start to roll out the updates it would be nice.

I was hoping that, even when using Split view mode, the Full Screen option, during video calls, would start to work with this release...but no such luck.

well I can no longer use skype since it cannot find the camera, microphone or speakers.

I have uninstalled and re-installed skype, zapped the pram, restarted my mac laptop numerous times, put sudo killall VDCAssistant in the terminal and still it does not work. When one clicks on "Learn more" it takes you to an unhelpful page about phone call quality. I cannot even make a call let alone a bad one! 

I am using Skype version 8.56.0.103 on mac osx 10.10.5

My microphone and speakers etc. are not listed in my privacy settings and never have been so  that fix is also unhelpful.

Can you please fix this which I assume is related to the latest update.

This is a known issue with the latest Skype 8.56 version installed on MAC OS Yosemite.

Microsoft has identified the issue, fixed and is now working on releasing an updated version for Mac.

I was trying to disable call sound, found a topic on this website dated 2018.

Since now is 2020 and I still cant configure or disable ring sound - thats **** awesome, thank you microsoft for being so lame.

This is a known issue with the latest Skype 8.56 version installed on MAC OS Yosemite.

Microsoft has identified the issue, fixed and is now working on releasing an updated version for Mac.

Is this the fix (from Known Issues)?

Skype doesn't appear as an option when trying to grant camera and microphone permissions in Mac Mojave OS settings.

Run these two commands to fix the problem: 

tccutil reset Microphone com.skype.skype

tccutil reset Camera com.skype.skype

Ok thank you for letting me know so promptly that it is being fixed. I find it a bit surprising and disappointing that an update has been issued with such a major flaw but thank you for hopefuly fixing it very soon since I use Skype on a regular basis.

I know practically nothing about Mac, but as far as I know the issue has nothing to do with the Mojave OS, as it only affects the older Yosemite 10.10.5 OS.

Hi Team,

I am not sure if I am posting my question on the right forum or not. If not, please let me know.

I have been using Skype since earlier version of Skype 8 for my application. My application basically uses Microsoft UI automation dll to access element of Skype.

It has been working smoothly. I mean, my application access Skype UI automation element so we can expect that application could impact on Skype but fortunately there was no such impact noticed till the Skype v8.49.

From Skype v8.50, we found there is some lagging while we switch buddy. The same application does not have any such impact in Skype 8.49 and earlier version but the same application causes this impact on Skype v8.50 and higher.

Could you please let us know what change did Skype made after the version 8.49? If this was some unintentional bug, is there any possibility that this bug get fixed in future release of Skype?

Please let me know if you need any further details on this.

Thanks,

Prakash

tandukar
how can i get Skype on my dashboard? how can i find my contacts?you have made Skype so complicated that I can no longer use it
I have not been able to receive calls from my Skype contacts for a while now, and this new version did not fix that.  Everytime someone attempts to call me on Skype, Skype automatically rejects the call within less than a second and they get a message that I am not available.  Disabling automatic call forwarding (or setting the forwarding interval to 30 sec) did not help.  Any ideas how to proceed?