Release Notes for Skype 8.52

The latest Skype version 8.52 is out. There are more cool new features in this release, plus we’ve made split view even better for our desktop apps. We’ve made it easier for you to share your contacts with the new drag and drop function and you can now schedule Skype calls in a group.  In addition, we’ve done some bug fixes and performance and stability improvements. You asked, we delivered!

Skype for Windows, Mac, Linux and Web

Just  dropping in: Want to share a contact with another contact, or just add someone to a conversation? In Skype for desktop, just drag and drop your contact right from the contact list into a conversation. You will have the option to either add or share your contact to that chat. Learn more.

Schedule a call for groups: Already used to scheduling calls from any 1:1 chat? Well now you can use this feature for a group as well! You can select all the participants of the group to pre-arrange a time for a call. Learn more.

Skype for Android, iPhone and iPad

Schedule a call for groups: Already used to scheduling calls from any 1:1 chat? Well now you can use this feature for a group as well! You can select all the participants of the group to pre-arrange a time for a call. Learn more.

Welcome to the dark side. Let the dark theme flow through your Skype on iOS & Android. With the latest OS version on your mobile device, if you select the dark theme, it will automatically set Skype to the dark theme as well. Learn more.

What’s fixed?

• conversation window sizes and positions remembered in Split View
  • ability to move and resize your video preview during a video call in Split View
  • focus in composer after opening the conversation in Split View
  • indication of new messages in the individual conversation windows in Split View
  • minimized windows are restored when a conversation is activated from recent chats or the call monitor window in Split View
  • grouped notifications on Android

The new features are rolling out gradually over the next couple of days so if you don’t see them right away, just check again soon!

Please let us know what you think about the latest changes, either here in the community or through the Skype app. And you can always go to Skype’s User Voice to submit and vote for new features and ideas.  You might also want to check out the known issues.

Thank you for all that you do to support Skype!

The Skype Team

Discussion Info

Last updated November 9, 2019 Views 1,853 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had noticed the window size/position had been fixed since last testing it, and it's good to see the taskbar notification issue was fixed, too. It's unfortunate when problems like that drag on for long periods of time, so it was good to nip them in the bud before that happened.

On that note, when you start Skype, its window position is never remembered. It always goes to the center. That one was never nipped, and a result, we still live with it every day. Any progress on it?

Incidentally, the Settings window, now that it's been made into its own window, doesn't remember its size, so there seems to be a recurring theme with Skype 8 and windows.

This update has seemingly broken notifications on Skype for Android. (8.52.0.142)

Message notifications have no sound, and yes I have sound turned on. Worked as usual until the app updated last night.

My phone will vibrate but doesn't produce any sound with the notification, and that makes it hard to know when I'm getting messaged. :/

Also, the notification led for android hasn't worked for a few years now even though the app still has a toggle for it in the settings...

Im having the same problem that KatieJX reported but for a android 8.1.0 system. No sound for message notification despite have it turned on! Only vibrates when receiving them.

Mine might work, I don't know but since it keeps showing me as Away no matter I am in and actively working, people aren't using it. so much functionality, lost. 

We are investigating this no sound in message notifications problem. 

Meanwhile, you can try with the Skype Insider Preview version, which is available from here.

If the problems should still persist even with the Insider version, you can then report a problem through the app and help us to resolve the issues as soon as possible.

Miikka (Skype PM)

@Miikka, I've already reported it, but are you tracking any issues with ads being displayed when they shouldn't be?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/ads-or-no-ads-that-is-the-question/77603d9c-11a3-4ff8-ad4c-aa76a519e329

Will this version of Skype let us disable graphical and animated emoticons? If not, why not?
Now with this version when my bud sends me me text or files it does not show up in my window unless we go to private message.
On the new desktop release, sometimes emoticons will not show up.  Has anyone experienced this issue as well?
I'm having the same issue.  Vibrate works fine but my sound notification doesnt work even though everything is on.  Has anyone received an update on this issue?