Old account hacked/two parallel accounts on one email address

I just received an email saying that a monthly subscription had been bought for an old Skype account name that I have not used or had access to for around 10 years. 

I did not make this transaction. It was in Brazilian Dollars (I am from and live in the UK). I have a new account that I have been using for several years now.

When I try to sign in with the old account name to cancel the payment, the passwords I try don't work and the only contact details offered for recovering a password are not mine (it is an email address ending @21cn.com, which seems to be a fraudulent email host).

I believe I originally signed up for the old account with a hotmail address that I am not able to access (password forgotten years ago), although I am clearly now receiving payment notifications for this old account at my current email address.

I have tried recovering the old account using the online form, but it is not clear if I should answer the questions for a) my current email address, b) the email address the hacker has provided, or c) my old defunct email address. Options b) and c) are impossible and when I answered for a) my current address, the recovery attempt is not successful.

Please advise on what I can do to solve this.

Many thanks,

caitlin

Hello caitlinmcc ,

Thank you for reaching out to the community!

I understand that you don't want to be charged if you don't remember signing up for the subscription. Upon checking the information linked to your community profile, we confirmed that you have multiple accounts. In this case, we have three available options to resolve this:

1. I recommend that you recover the account which linked to the subscription by following the steps in this FAQ: I've forgotten my Skype user name or password or through the Account Recovery form through this link: https://account.live.com/acsr so you can manually cancel the subscription within the Skype account.

2. You may directly reach out to our live chat support in order for them to verify your account and request for the cancellation of subscription and refund of the renewal on our end. You may follow the steps I have provided through a private message using this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox?tm=1570107931394

3. The last resort that you may do for the charge is to report it directly to the bank which your payment instrument is issued from. They would be able to manually restrict all Skype charges from their end.

Let me know if you have further inquiries or clarifications.

Benjie_C
Skype Community Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2023 Views 93 Applies to: