New Version of Skype

Hello,

I upgraded Skype a few weeks ago (not my choice, it seemed to do it by itself) and now it won't work at all.  All my contacts are gone when I login, I added someone and am trying to call them and when they answer I just see a video of myself, and we cannot see or hear each other, and it drops out after about 5 seconds.

Please help.  I am using a Mac if that is relevant.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi RLS2018UK,

If you are not seeing your contacts, then you might have signed in to a different Skype account. You need to make sure if you are using a Skype name (username) or an email address (Microsoft account) to sign in. You can check this FAQ link regarding this issue: Why are my Skype contacts or credit missing?

If you are having issues with video calling, please provide the version of your Skype app. You may open this link on how to check the version of your Skype application.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply.

Skype version 8.24.0.2 Calling version 2018.24.0-1.6

Tried for half an hour to make a call, it connected for about 12 seconds each time but I couldn't see or hear the other person.  Same thing if they tried to call me - I could see that they were calling but when I click answer it says it's connected, but I can only see/hear myself.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RLS2018UK,

Thank you for the information you posted.

To further check on this, please provide the following information:

• Are you initiating Skype-to-Skype calls, calls to mobile and/or landline numbers or does the issue affect both type of calls?
  • Is the issue happening to a specific contact or to multiple contacts? If multiple, approximately how many are affected?
  • Please try to use a different internet connection, let us know if the same behavior.
  • Please try to use a different device, let us know if the same behavior.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are not wrong. The new Skype is SHOCKING! It's SO bad. 

Why can't we just see a list of our contacts, who is online, and who is offline. It was THE one key feature of Skype that was useful, and you've removed it! 

DOH!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chopdog01,

Thank you for your message on this thread. We will take this as a feedback and let our developers know about this. The new Skype is a work in progress and your message will surely help us in the next Skype future updates.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Surely, as it took a step back and is still being fixed, it should still be in beta?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just went through a stupid unnecessary Skype update last night and lost all sign of all my previous contacts etc.

If you and others suffered the same problem and had a working Skype before, the solution I discovered is you're probably signed into the wrong account and it seems that one could have two accounts setup, one with microsoft and one with skype.

The difference I discovered is my old working Skype account only uses a user nickmame + password for access, the microsoft account if you ended up setting one up uses a email address or MS phone number.

If you end up in an account without any contacts, ie, the wrong Skype account the solution is to logout and then try logging in but use only your old Skype username, not your email address, and the associated password, and all your old contacts should appear.

This is for Mac Skype users anyway and I hope this helps some users.

What a waste of time getting Skype to work as expected, or at least with some of the features it still has left.

- Patrick

=======

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not want the new Microsoft skype that has invaded my Mac and obliterated the old Skype which worked well. I cannot now fine my old account and all my skype contacts. Please help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This will help :

https://skype.en.uptodown.com/mac/old

You can delete the trash of a new version and get the decent and reliable old version back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Toni, I don't understand the reply from Chopdog01 below, but you may not have much choice of Skype versions to use as MS is forcing some old versions to be updated.

If you seemingly lost all your Contacts and conversations etc. then you are probably signed into the wrong and maybe new account.

To rectify that, log/sign out from the wrong account and then login to your old account.

The new microsoft accounts seem to use either an email address or some MS phone number plus password.

The old Skype that I have used for ages uses just a username or nickname as a user plus password.

If that was your case, when you connect with the new Skype version to your old skype account, all your contacts etc. should be showing as they used to.

The layout may be a bit different but all your old skype data should still be there.

I hope this helps.

PS: Using Mac OS X of course.

- Patrick

========

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 232 Applies to: