Lost skype contacts after update

When starting skype, it asked me to update to the latest version. After agreeing to this, the new skype program opened (windows 10 looking interface), but unfortunately, the contact list was empty. I know there is the option to go through my email address book, but even without this, I would like my old contacts back (I don't always have their email). Is there any way to dig up that list somewhere and plug it in? Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2019 Views 18,822 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to the Skype Community Forum!

I guess you have signed in to Skype Preview for Windows 10. If you're using the same Skype account - your contacts should sync. Do you have a Skype username/ID? Or are you using your email address/phone number to sign in? The best way to confirm this is to download Skype for Windows Desktop > sign in to your account > compare the account you have on the Skype Preview.

Regards,

Rhiza_E

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, quite well spotted, this indeed solved my problem. I was logged in on the old version of skype using a skype login (but since I hardly logout, I didn't really know), while in the newer preview version I used my email address that was in my account information. I logged in now using my skype name and all contacts are there!

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We're glad to know that the issue is now resolved! Please continue participating in the Skype Community Forum to share us your thoughts and feedback!

Regards,

Rhiza_E

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.

I did all this but I cannot sign in because Skype automatically signs in and the Contacts and my credit aren't there.

Any new ideas please?

Jamn

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes this is fixed but with update, now contacts time zone is gone also contact count is gone.  I don't like updates! You seem to lose something! 

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem..I did download Skype for windows desktop and still i dont have my contact.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

But where is our contact count? Also my contacts no longer show contact count and where is the timezone for contacts? When you click on your contact it use to show what time it is for that contact,now it is gone with this update! Please fix this!

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem. I downloaded Skype for Windows, and my contacts and credit are gone.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The same thing happened to a lot of people, and the new version is garbage; it's microsoft trying to compete with all the other stuff out there such as snapchat, instagram, twitter, etc. They have forgotten that Skype's purpose is for people to be able to videochat. Also, a lot of people got updated to this version -including me- even though they refused it.

After lots of googling and going around in circles with trying to contact skype support that I believe doesn't actually exist-because all roads lead back to the same community support page- I found a solution:

Ignore the app on your device -just unpin it or whatever, and google "skype for web", where you can log in and you will find all your contacts. You'll have to bookmark it and have your browser save the pasword if you don't wish to keep having to log in.

Or, do as I did and if you use Chrome, click on the three dots in the top right corner of the screen on your Chrome browser, click on "more tools" and then "add to desktop" which will give you a shortcut on your desktop screen. You can then pin this shortcut (right-click) to your start menu and/or task bar.

Next time I get a new computer, I'm going to choose a Linux operating system (Mint looks good) because Microsoft has forgotten that we need things that actually work, and for the purpose for which they were meant.  Good luck!

38 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The same thing happened to a lot of people, and the new version is garbage; it's microsoft trying to compete with all the other stuff out there such as snapchat, instagram, twitter, etc. They have forgotten that Skype's purpose is for people to be able to videochat. Also, a lot of people got updated to this version -including me- even though they refused it.

After lots of googling and going around in circles with trying to contact skype support that I believe doesn't actually exist-because all roads lead back to the same community support page- I found a solution:

Ignore the app on your device -just unpin it or whatever, and google "skype for web", where you can log in and you will find all your contacts. You'll have to bookmark it and have your browser save the pasword if you don't wish to keep having to log in.

Or, do as I did and if you use Chrome, click on the three dots in the top right corner of the screen on your Chrome browser, click on "more tools" and then "add to desktop" which will give you a shortcut on your desktop screen. You can then pin this shortcut (right-click) to your start menu and/or task bar.

Next time I get a new computer, I'm going to choose a Linux operating system (Mint looks good) because Microsoft has forgotten that we need things that actually work, and for the purpose for which they were meant.  Good luck!

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.