How do I stop videos / snapshots from being taken of me by others I chat with, during a video chat?

Hello,

Someone I was chatting with took a snapshot during our video call, and I do not want them to have my photo.

I'm fine with live video chats, and willing to do that. But I feel my privacy is violated when anyone I chat with can take snapshots of me, and then download them to their computer.

I have no way to remove these images from the chat myself; only they can do that by holding a finger on the image and then tapping remove. But I am powerless to get my image off of the chat myself, unless I am the one who took the screenshot.

Evidently they can also record video during a chat and record audio as well.

Is there a way to prevent people I chat with from recording audio and video or our chat, or to prevent them from taking snapshots during a chat, and then downloading them to their computers?

I use Skype mobile, but can log on using my laptop as well, if it is easier to change the settings there.

Is this possible to do?

I feel this is a serious issue, and a violation of people's privacy. There is real liability for Microsoft here.

Skype should give people a clear option to opt out of letting photos and recordings be taken of them during video or audio chats. Seems to me there is liability for Skype if they do not give people an option for this when they install the app.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2019 Views 427 Applies to:

The only solution I could think of is to not let the people you are talking to see your face, which obviously defeats the point. Skype cannot change the fact that anyone can use their computer to take a screen shot at any time. I don't see a solution to this issue unfortunately.

Denver Manufacturing

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, ManlyPaul1

I'm sorry to read about this. Skype does not have the option to disable the snapshot function while on a video chat. 

I'll take this as your feedback and this thread will be forwarded to our development team to help with upcoming Skype 8 updates.

Thank you for your time posting in this forum.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. MS should provide an option when installing Skype to stop users we are having very private chats with from taking video snapshots, yes. Glad you agree, and sent it on to the development team for use in the next version of Skype.

IMPORTANT: They should also allow us to disable recording by the other party of all text, talk and video conversations. There is potential liability for MS if they dont give users that option.

Personally, I accept the terms and conditions, but some people's lives (and families) could be cone real harm unless MS does this.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. I still think MS should provide an option when installing Skype to stop users we are having very private chats with from taking video snapshots. The other respondent to this question will send it on to the development team, and hopefully they will resolve this in the next version of Skype.

I told him I also think MS should also allow us to disable recording by the other party of all text, talk and video conversations. There is potential liability for MS if they dont give users that option.

Personally, I accept the terms and conditions, but some people's lives (and families) could be done real harm unless MS does this. Hiding your face does indeed defeat the point of a cam chat.

Sorry this didn't help.