How do I get rid of that annoying "Share With Skype" in the Windows 10 Explorer context menu?

With the latest Skype it has placed an annoying addition to the Windows 10 Explorer context menu.

If you select a file and right click on it, one of the options is Share With Skype.  Is there any way to get rid of that?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Confirmed, this regedit path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PackagedCom\Package\Microsoft.SkypeApp_15.61.100.0_x86__kzf8qxf38zg5c\Class\{776DBC8D-7347-478C-8D71-791E12EF49D8}
and removal of dll works. Don't forget that Skype is also now in your startup and disable it there.

Congratulations Microsoft, you bought a fantastic software and made entire world hate it because of things like this.

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

They are reading this topic and then changing the register to another location when someone figure out how to remove it!

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

this one did it thanks.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PackagedCom\Package\Microsoft.SkypeApp_15.61.100.0_x86__kzf8qxf38zg5c

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, spot on.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are two separate locations not to be intentionally sneaky. One location is for the desktop version, the other location is for the Skype for Windows 10 App version. While the desktop version resides in the same location from version to version, the App version updates from release number to release number based on how App releases are designed. The latest/current version of my Skype Removal Tool supports all current, outdated or preview App releases.

SRT (.NET 4.0 version) [pcdust.com]

Simply right-click (not left-click) on the Remove button and select "Remove Share with Skype".

The alternative to this is using the registry file I supplied earlier. It has been updated to only remove the latest version using the method that I use to more properly unregister the menu item, instead of just breaking it.

The best thing they can do is add a toggle to enable/disable this feature. As it stands now, if you have both installed, you will have two sets of Share with Skype menu items with no way to tell them apart (which launches which application), unless one of them is a preview release. In the example below the App version happens to be a preview version. Due to this, I know which menu item launches the App and which item launches the desktop release.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Inspired by muratcan.1905 here's another way to block the Skype context menu, that is quite satisfying and won't change with the Skype version number.  Windows 10 includes a naughty step to which you can send badly-behaved programs.  You just need to know the Class ID of the bad program, which for Skype is {776DBC8D-7347-478C-8D71-791E12EF49D8}  

• Open RegEdit
  • Drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions, and you will see folders (keys) for 'Approved' and 'Cached'.  Create a new key alongside those and call it 'Blocked' (without quotes). 
  • Within your new 'Blocked' key, create a new String Value, and give it a name of {776DBC8D-7347-478C-8D71-791E12EF49D8} (including the curly brackets).  Don't give it a value - just create an empty string value of that name.
  • Exit RegEdit
  • Log out of Windows and log back in again for it to pick up the change

That tells Windows that item {776DBC8D-7347-478C-8D71-791E12EF49D8} (Skype) has disgraced itself and is not allowed to mess with the File Explorer context menu any more.  Bye bye "Share with Skype".  

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That method will work to block the Share with Skype menu item in the App but not the desktop version. A different yet equivalent registry block can be added for the desktop version but it would probably only survive updates, not uninstalls/reinstalls, which would remove it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't know there were multiple versions of Skype for PC.  I've got Skype app on my Windows 10 PC (not put there by me), and that block is tested and working for stopping the unwanted context menu, so I'm happy, especially if the context menu remains blocked. (I can't understand why it is not configurable in Skype for context menu on/off - I have 122 apps on my computer and if they all helped themselves to space on my right-click menu...)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

this the only solution that solved the problem for me. nothing else did, not even easy context menu. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

removing SkypeContext.dll from Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PackagedCom\Package\Microsoft.SkypeApp(XXXXXXX and so on)\Class\{xxxxxx} did the trick, thanks!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2021 Views 34,405 Applies to: