How do I change my Skype name?

How do I change my Skype name? I’m assigned a random set of letters and numbers that is impossible to remember! Why would they assign that without your approval? Do I really need to delete my account and start over?

|

Hello MNSAG79, Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Community. My name is Raymond and I'm happy to help. Sorry for this inconvenience. Understand that your Skype username appears as live:randomcombinationexample and that cannot be changed. What you can change is your Skype display name. To change your display name: "Select your profile picture > Select Skype profile > Select the Edit text button Edit button > Update your Skype display name and select the check mark to save. You can change it back at any time. Note: It may take a little time for your Skype display name to update". The information above was obtained from Skype support article: https://support.skype.com/faq/FA10858/what-s-my-skype-name Reference: https://support.skype.com/faq/FA34927/how-do-i-change-my-skype-name Please let me know if you need more assistance. Give back to the Community, Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. Regards

Raymond K
Understand that I do not have access to any user's account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

“Understand that your Skype username appears as live:randomcombinationexample and that cannot be changed. What you can change is your Skype display name. To change your display name: "Select your profile picture > Select Skype profile > Select the Edit text button Edit button > Update your Skype display name and select the check mark to save.”

OK, thank you. Question - Will people be able to find me by my Skype display name or must they have my username? What is the purpose of this username and is it visible to others?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, My name is Jackson and thank you for your question. I sincerely apologize for the issue you experience with your skype , I am a user myself and understand how frustrating this is. The skype name is a unique identifier autogenerated when you first create your account and can not be changed. The use of the Skype name is mostly internal as it is used by the support team on the skype tool to easily access the right account for support purpose and can also be used by your contacts to search your account. Yes your contacts cant search you with the display name on skype and also with the username. Your skype name along with the display name is visible to your contacts when they view your profile . If you need more help with this please reach skype technical team via the link below; https://go.skype.com/ssc.chat.51 Warm regards, Jackson E.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can be searched by your Display Name, but Display name is not unique. Many users can have the same or very similar Display Name.

The only unique identifier of a Skype account is the Skype Name. No two users can have exactly the same Skype Name.

Skype name is used as the account ID in all Skype/Microsoft databases. Skype Name is also used with e.g. several chat commands and Skype URIs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 19 Applies to: