go.skype.com is running in background eating my battery

I use a 2020 Apple M1 MacBook Air. I have noticed a sudden drain of my battery for the past 2 weeks. Sleuthing this I have found an app as reported in my System Settings>Screen Time>App Usage: "go.skype.com" using hours of screen time even after I deleted the Skype app. Is there some appendage of Skype that remains hidden and runs in background that could be the app item I see using my screen time report and therefore my battery? According to the Screen Time report it runs even when I am not using my computer for anything else.

|

Hello Robert E, Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Community. My name is Raymond and I'm happy to help. Sorry for this inconvenience. However, I will suggest you uninstall Skype from your Mac > reboot > reinstall Skype and check the experience. Find guidance: https://support.skype.com/faq/FA10634/how-do-i-uninstall-and-reinstall-skype-on-desktop Please let me know if you need more assistance. Give back to the Community, Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. Regards

Raymond K
Understand that I do not have access to any user's account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

While I very much appreciate your speedy response I will wait to employ your suggestion. After opening and using my MacBook this morning for about 2 hours I have found that the suspected app- go.skype.com - has not appeared in the list of apps consuming screen time. In the interim since my original post I shut down and rebooted twice. I am hoping this has rid that app. I will report again tomorrow after a full day of experience. Thank you again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Robert E, did you get any feedback from your post in Apple Community? In the meantime, try disabling autorun for Skype on a Mac and check if the battery usage reduces. From the Dock, right-click the Skype icon > click Options > Select Open at Login > Remove checkmark.

Raymond K
Understand that I do not have access to any user's account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems my success at ridding the annoying go.skype.com app is permanent. Solved by merely shutting down my MacBook and starting up again. The app has not reappeared in the list of apps using screen time and my battery is being depleted normally. I will not be reinstalling Skype on the MacBook but will rely on the mobile app on my iPhone should I need Skype for any reason. It's just strange that the app remanent appeared after having and using Skype in the MacBook for a few years.

Thanks for your attention to my issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 20 Applies to: