Can't see emoticons in conversation in Skype for Business Basic in Window 10 Pro

About a dozen of us got new computers, all identical 

Dell Optiplex 7050

Intel i7-7700 3.6GHz

32 GB RAM

64 bit

Windows 10 pro

We also upgraded to office 365 for all machines and use Skype for Business Basic.

We can see the emoticons in the drop down.

We can see the emoticons when put one in when we type our message.

When we send our message, the emoticons do not show in the conversation on either end.

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, un checking boxes, logging out, rechecking boxes,  deleting all information except the tracing folder, flushing the DNS, if there was a possible solution on the internet, I tried it in various combinations. All I have left is to think that if Skype For Business needs to access some external website for the emoticons to appear in the messages, maybe our blocking software is blocking that site. I know I can't get the Skype symbol to appear in my office 365 on a browser. We miss our emoticons because we work on several floors, take laptops into meetings, and it isn't always possible to talk in person or on the phone. A sentence can be taken several ways without the proper emoticon sometimes. In fact, I tried to send (6) to someone and it ended up (Devil) when they got it, but I couldn't see that it was thinking that was an emoticon.

Does anyone know if the emoticons must be accessed at a website, or what that website might be? Are there any more suggestions on how to get these little guys to appear in the conversations?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Ghostwheel00,

Thanks for your post. According to your description, the emoticons are unable to view well in the conversation of Skype for Business Basic. In this case, we suggest you try to repair Skype for Business Basic client by following steps:

1. Open Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program under Programs.
3. Right-Click your installed Skype for Business Basic product and click Change.
4. Restart your computer after the repair process is complete.

Besides, you can try to launch Skype for Business in safe mode to check if it can work well:

1. Open the Run command dialog (Simultaneously press Windows logo and R keys on your keyboard).
2. Type “Lync /safe” (be sure to add a space between “Lync” and” /safe”).
3. click OK to open Skype for Business in safe mode.

If the issue persists, to further look into it, we need to collect some information:

1. As you use the hidden emoticons like “(6)”, please check if you can use the standard emoticons by clicking smiling face related icon near the send icon.
2. If possible, could you please provide us the related screenshots to clarify it?
3. What’s the detailed version information of your Skype for Business Basic client?

Regards,
Jay

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Note: Fixed the images. I was on Chrome, so images were not allowed to be uploaded I guess.

Thank you for your reply. I want to clarify that it's not that we can't see them well in conversations, we cannot see them at all.

As I previously stated, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and change>repair as those are both solutions available on the internet, with no luck. Safe mode makes no difference, either.

To respond to your request for information:

1) To  reiterate, NO emoticons appear in the CONVERSATION. I can see them in the pop-up (as you see below), I can select one and see it as I type my message, but when I click the send button, the emoticon is not in the conversation. Not on my screen, not on the receiver's screen.

I was not trying to use a hidden emoticon. Please note the the Devil emoticon is clearly in the standard set. And that was an accident, not intended, as I said.

2) Conversation looked like this after each message was sent:

If I copy and paste the lines, they look like this because we did put emoticons in our messages:

[‎4/‎12/‎2018 5:38 PM] 
:)
: )

YES!!!!  (The 'YES!!!!' was because he was able to get a colon and paren with a space in it to make a rudimentary smiley)

[‎4/‎13/‎2018 9:52 AM]  
Do you see your icons in your message? I don't :(

[‎4/‎13/‎2018 9:53 AM]   
nope
I see nothing
^o)(rofl)

3)

Thank you for your help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ghostwheel00,,

Based on your description, please open Skype for Business > Options > IM > check the Show emoticons in messages. Then check if it works. For your reference:

If the issue persists, please go to Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Make the computer easier to see. Then uncheck the Turn off all unnecessary annimations. And please let me know if there any update. 

Regards,

Carlos

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply, Carlos. I must admit, I am a bit dismayed that all I am getting in response are the standard answers that are on the internet and I have already tried. 

We have tried: open Skype for Business > Options > IM > check the Show emoticons in messages.  We have tried that with and without the "Turn off Emoticons Animations" box checked. No emoticons in the chat for sender or the receiver.

We have also tried:Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Make the computer easier to see. Then uncheck the Turn off all unnecessary animationsAll we get for that is the checkbox for "Turn Off Emoticons Animations is grayed out and cannot be enabled. No emoticons in the chat for the sender or the receiver.

Please don't now ask me to delete my Skype for Business cache. I have already done that. Twice. These are the steps followed:

1.    Click the gear in top right-hand corner.
2.    Choose File – Sign Out to log out of Skype for Business.
3.    On the Sign In window, choose the link to Delete my sign-in info.
4.    In the pop-up window to forget sign in info, click Yes.
5.    Click the gear, choose File> Exit to exit and close Skype.
6.    Go to the location:
 C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync
7.    Locate the sip_YourProfileName folder and delete it.
Open the Tracing folder and delete all files in in it. Do not delete the Tracing folder itself.
If you receive a message that the action can't be completed because a file is Open or that you need Administrator permission to delete a file, click the Skip button.
8.    Open a command prompt (in Windows, click the Start button, type cmd and select the command prompt from the menu. Type ipconfig /flushdns and press the enter key on your keyboard to clear the DNS cache. 

I have to ask, is there any possibility that a Security Gateway (website blocking software) could cause this situation on Windows 10 when it did not on Windows 8?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ghostwheel00,

Thanks for your details. I have consulted and it is suggested to wait for the next product version and check if the issue can be fixed in this new version. You can monitor it and keep the Skype for Business up to date. Your time and understanding will be much appreicated.

Regards,

Carlos

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi GhostWheel,

Please follow the steps below to collect the log files for us to analyze:

1. Go to location: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\Tracing, delete all log files which end as .uccapilog

2. Restart Skype for Business> go to settings> General> select Full for logging in Skype for Business> tick "also collect troubleshooting info using Windows Event logging" to enable logging. 

3. Reproduce the issue> send the messages with emoticons about 3 times.

4. Go to C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\Tracing, find the log file with .uccapilog as suffix, upload the log file via private message.

5. Meanwhile, please refer to the steps in private message to collect the fiddler log. 

I understand it may take you some time to collect the log,  but they are important for us to move on the issue. 

Thanks for your time. 

Regards,

Hans

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ghostwheel,

I have replied in Private Message. Please let me know if there is any update.

Regards,

Carlos

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ghostwheel00,

If there is any update, you can share at your convenience.

Regards,

Carlos

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am trying to find some way to get you what you request. Fiddler is not allowed at our workplace. That you for checking back. I haven't given up, yet.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ghostwheel00,

Since this log is important for us to further move on, you may contact the Admin or IT department and see whether they allow you temporarily download this tool, after reproed and collected the log, uninstall this tool.

Thanks,

Anna

--------* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2024 Views 30,157 Applies to: