Breaking news from around the world
Get the Bing + MSN extension
First, let's do this:
Verify that you have removed all other realtime antimalware products that were ever installed on your PC, including free/trial product that were installed when the PC was purchased (Norton, McAfee, TM, AVG, etc). Use the removal tools here:
List of anti-malware program cleanup/uninstall tools
If you just updated Adobe Flash, you may have inadvertently installed McAfee Security Scanner.
Verify that it is not present.
Verify that Windows Defender is uninstalled (if XP), or Disabled (if Vista/W7).
Verify that you are up-to-date with patches and service packs.
Verify that your PC clock is correctly set.
Verify that you are using build 1961 of MSE (as of April 2010).
Verify that the Windows Firewall is on, and set to defaults.
Remove Zone Alarm if you have it and use the Windows Firewall.
In IE, reset all security zones to default level.
Then, restart your PC.
You should be able to uninstall from the “Add/Remove Programs”, or “Programs and Features”, depending on your OS.
If that fails, you can use this procedure provided by forum contributor
1. Download the MSE installer file from the
website and save the file on the Desktop.
This will allow you to find it easily after the download is done.
2. Now press the Windows key (or
Start key) and R both at the same time. This will open the
RUN dialog box.
3. Next, delete/clear any entries inside
RUN, then drag the MSE installer file into the
RUN dialog box.
4. Depending on your Operating System, after dragging the file into
RUN, it should appear as one of the three below:
· C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe
· C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe
· C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-amd64fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe
5. Now put a SPACE at the end of the line, followed by a
/U as seen below:
· C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe /U
· C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe /U
· C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-amd64fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe /U
6. Click OK.
7. Restart your system after the uninstall.
Then, reinstall MSE.
If the problem persists, submit a support case to Microsoft: https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/?scrx=1
Did this solve your problem?
Sorry this didn't help.
Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.
How satisfied are you with this reply?
Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.
How satisfied are you with this response?
Thanks for your feedback.