Live OneCare Registry Cleaner -The new Download version does not have the registry cleaner tool

where can I access the registry cleaner tool that was part of the online Live OneCare PC Safety Scan?

The new Download version does not have the registry cleaner tool, which worked great in the online version.

By the way, why did microsoft replaced the online Live OneCare PC Safety Scan? First, the online version worked perfectly fine, especially, the cleaner, and second, the new version, which now has to be downloaded, is very limited in features (It doesn't have the cleaners). Additionally, why switch to a tool that basically performs the same function as Security Essentials. It just does not make any sense.

Answer
Answer

Hi Vital,

There is no replacement for the registry cleaner.  In fact, it is strongly recommended that you do not use ANY registry cleaner, booster, optimizer, fixer, enhancer or whatever it may be called.  One of the reasons it isn't available any more is that Microsoft came to realize this as well. 

Windows does a good job keeping the registry clean and doesn't really need any help (despite what these scanners say like there are 6000 entries that need to be repaired or whatever). 

Most registry cleaners do little if any good, but some (more than you'd imagine) can also cause great harm (to the point where the only option is a clean install or a restore to factory conditions).  The benefits simply aren't worth the risks. 

You do not need a registry cleaner and are better off without using one.  I've seen way too many people here with problems caused by using such tools and I don't want you to be joining them.

Here's another thread with answers that support what I just said above: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/do-i-need-registry-cleaner-if-so-can-i-get-one-for/861ffbb4-9ce2-4ed4-8df0-0ce554990629.  Though for Windows 7, the same philosophy holds for XP and Vista.  You won't find any Microsoft Support employees or engineers or experienced people recommending them anywhere on these forums (for very good reasons).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

MVP(7/2012-6/2015),MCSE,MCSA,MCC2011,xCMM,xCAM,A+,Net+,Security Expert, xInfluencer. See Profile.

W10Prox64 Fast 16299rs3; Ofc Insider 1710/8613.1000; Edge,IE11,Chrome.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 31, 2021 Views 5,668 Applies to: