Adwcleaner is not safe?

Windows 8.1

I think that I deleted all the program files for web cake, Babylon toolbars, vgrabber and similar ones. event those hidden in temporary folders.
several scaners (microsoft, panda, ccleaner, malwarebytes..)  told me that the pc is clean
then I looked in regedit and saw several keys still refering to those programs and others like zoomit which I had uninstalled
 then I ran Adwcleaner and found many keys refering to the unwanted programs, I just dared to delete a few ones.
then I had the upgrade from windows 8 to windows 8.1 (does this correct the registry?)

Now I try to run the brand new version of Adwcleaner (downloaded from http://general-changelog-team.fr (not the mirror from CNET, as some users have doubts on whether they got infected there), but now I get so strong warnings from WOT about the website, and from Microsoft against running the last version of Adwcleaner that I doubt. 

is http://general-changelog-team.fr more trustworthy than CNET?

Should I not run Adwcleaner?

Another better way to clean the registry of the obvious references to wholly  uninstalled (I believe) malware?

Many thanks

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2018 Views 225,558 Applies to:
Answer

Since you resurrected this topic with a recent reply, let me say for anyone reading it...

Most of the well known specialized tools we use as malware fighters, including AdwClearner, are written by experts/Security Colleagues at various security forums like Bleeping Computer, TechSupport, GeeksToGo, SypwareInfo and other similar sites so they can be trusted.

Unfortunately, many of these tools (or their embedded files) are repeatedly falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

102 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.