Question

Q: Warning - hard drive will be deleted - you have a virus

I am getting a warning pop-up on my Microsoft 11 Explorer (desk top computer -windows 10 operating system) that I have hard disc virus that will erase my hard drive. I can not delete the warning from my Explorer. I am running the Defender full scan. Maybe that will help. I have a back-up disc drive. I saw on TV that people being black mailed for $ to have this virus removed.  I am one of those victims? Any suggestion? Do not know what category or topic to select to post this question.

[Moved from Windows]

Answer

A:

Couldn't not remove virus warning pop-up the conventional way (i.e. xing out, shutting down the computer etc.), but managed to do it by going back to an earlier restore point. That solved the problem. Also, I ran the Microsoft Windows Defender several times before and after restore. No virus was detected. The pop-up warning was a typical 'scare' approach and appeared on Edge. Could not identify any specific web site. The warning asked you to click O.K. and call a provided tel. number for assistance. I did not do any of that. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

106 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

Hi Rainer,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

• Do you get this pop up on any particular website?

This is not something from the Microsoft’s end. It is probably a spam or malware. I would suggest you to run a full system scan using Windows Defender or any third party Security software if you use any, and check if the issue is resolved. You may refer to this article to know how to protect yourself from email and web scam.

Email and webscams: How to help protect yourself: http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/phishing-scams.aspx

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,
Pawan Dhondiyal
Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

85 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 27,357 Last updated: July 15, 2018 Applies to: