How can I remove Reimage Repair from Windows10

I had difficulty with installing W10 on one of my laptops and received super assistance from Microsoft by way of the microsoft.com/software-download site. Unfortunately the instructions given by the microsoft colleague did not quite match the screen options, the result being that at the "Upgrade now" screen along with "Upgrade Now" there was an option to install an auxiliary program called "Reimage Repair" (it carried the AVG badge).

I trust AVG and so, being on the microsoft site I hit the install option but I quickly realised it was not an AVG program and attempted to stop the install, however a short cut appeared on my desktop? I searched the web and believe it to be a PUP and should be uninstalled.

Problem is all uninstall recommendations are pre Windows10 and refer to W7 or W8.1. It appears a difficult critter to loose, can anyone help please? There is nothing in the installed programs referring to either Reimage or the other element referred to in the various web instructions (Babylon). The desktop shortcut title is "Resume Reimage..." how can I clear everything related to this , help please.   

Answer
Answer

Have you sought assistance from AVG or whichever antimalware program you are using?

This free removal guide should still be applicable to removing this PUP from Windows 10:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-reimage-repair/

If AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes do not eliminate it then go ahead and scan with Hitman Pro (trial version).

Be careful using Edge - we're seeing reports in the forum that it's not as secure as IE-11 and other browsers.  I'm sure MS will address that problem ASAP but in the meantime you might prefer to use a different browser.

Good luck...

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

103 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 24, 2020 Views 38,762 Applies to: