Got a call from a man claiming to be from Microsoft, how do I stop them?

I had a man call me tonight saying his name is Ron Barrel from Microsoft. He also knew my name. He said he is providing a checkup for people with computer hacking issues. He said he is from 24/7 Pc Fix. He kepty asking if I had errors and warnings on the page while I do what he says(pretended too). He said he is a microsoft verified technician and he helps customers. He said to press the windows button and press r at the same time to get the run box in left hand bottom corner of screen. Then he said to enter into computer "eventvwr". I pretended to and said it's not working. Then he said to open an internet explorer page and enter "www.teamviewer.com". I pretended to because I want info to report them and stop them calling every day. Please shut them down!!

Original title: They keep calling me too. How do I stop them.

Answer
Answer

That's one of many scams that fraudulently use the Microsoft name. They were attempting to get remote desktop access using Teamviewer which in itself is a legitimate product for sharing and communicating online. Once they had control they would look at Event Viewer and point to any errors listed and "the rest is history" as such. For more information on these scams and how to protect yourself please read here,

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/msname.aspx

If you happen to receive one of these phone calls ask the caller for the name of the company, where they are located, and their phone number.
Then hang up and report this to:
IC3 (internet crime)
The Local FBI Office ( if you're in the US)
Also you can visit the FTC website to report issues such as these:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/telemarketing/tel19.shtm

And before you hang up tell them you've had just enough time to get a GPS fix and mention the authorities you plan to contact.

CET, MCC 2011

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2020 Views 16,745 Applies to: