Beware of "fake" Malwaretips site

Just meant as an info:

Yesterday I happened to stumble over a "Virus removal" site called: malwaretips.org
This is clearly yet another one of the "millions" of EnigmaSoftware sponsored/owned sites - pushing Spyhunter.
I'm surprised that I never before saw that one.

A lot of people (me included) often answer when asked: "Yes yes Malwaretips is a known, reliable site".
That's why I thought it's okay to post this "warning".

Real: malwaretips.com
"Fake": malwaretips.org

Cheers,
J

Discussion Info

Last updated May 19, 2019 Views 21,835 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yes...when searching for malware removal assistance (and removal guides) on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or using a questionable removal tool. SpyHunter (SpyHunter-Installer.exe), an ineffective program from Enigma Software Group (ESG) with a history of employing aggressive and deceptive advertising is one of the most common "so-called" removal tools pushed by these sites.

Please read this topic for more important information about SpyHunter.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2019
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Friend who encountered malware went to Malwaretips.org and was very upset about downloading Spyhunter and them wanting payment.  She was most distressed when she called me - she had difficulties removing Spyhunter as has been reported by others on this forum but finally did so and then found a solution on how to successfully remove Binkiland by using the removal guide from Malwaretips.com (which recommends free removal tools).     

She said McAfee, which was included with her purchase of a new Acer laptop (Win 8.1) did not detect Binkiland.

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

Good post. The malwaretips.com site is indeed good. I am incredulous that the Enigma Software SpyHunter scum have done this.

Tip: When searching for malware removal directions with Google first append "site:malwaretips.com" to your Google search before looking wider.

Beware of fake/malicious malware removal sites. They vastly outnumber the genuine sites and Google seem incapable of removing these scum from their search results.

Information provided "as is" with no warranties or guarantees.

McAfee will not flag Binkiland (aka Vosteran) as a virus because it is apparently not a virus (lol). Depending on your level of infection it is either a totally unwanted adware-ridden version of Google Chrome which has installed as your default browser, or an infected existing copy of Google Chrome which is now ridden with adware.

Potentially Unwanted Programs (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers), Potentially Unwanted Applications) and Potentially Unsafe Applications) are classified differently and do not fall into the same categories as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots. That is the primary reason some anti-virus programs do not detect or remove them.
Reply In reply to deleted message

I do not not work for MS or any IT affiliated company.  In fact I'm retired.  Just a self taught computer geek who tries to help folks with malware issues.

Been using Malwaretips.com and the free removal tools/procedures recommended on their website for years with no issues and good success. Malwarebytes Free, AdwCleaner, JRT, Revo Free Uninstaller are all free products.  

"Simple and Harmless Browser Add-Ons."   Who are you trying to kid?   

See the following compliments of quietman7 MS MVP:About Those Toolbars and Add-Ons

For anyone else reading this "Discussion" here's a sampling of the complaints received on this forum about the Enigma flagship program named "Spyhunter!"   There's also some threads about these
"simple and harmless browser add-ons" referenced in your post. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=spyhunter&IsSuggestedTerm=true&CurrentScope.ForumName=Protect&CurrentScope.Filter=&ContentTypeScope=#/Protect///1

Now if you'll excuse me I've got a computer to try to fix for a friend - it's got so many "simple and harmless browser add-ons" that it's barely running and her search engines and browsers will not work properly.  And I'm not paying Malwaretips.org, Enigma software, Spyhunter or any similar program anything to resolve such issues.  

Regards...

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

Well said Le Boule

If I find a fault in the MalwareTips.com instructions, I tell them. The Virus/Malware authors release multiple versions to try to fool the Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software. The MalwareTips instructions are NOT always the same. I do keep "Hitman Pro" in reserve because it is only one-time free I find that the people who get one infection usually get another one until they learn common sense.

Removing Enigma SpyHunter is a nightmare.

(Still full-time IT since the 1970's, Still finding holes in Microsoft software whilst becoming very concerned about the gaping holes in Google software).

Well said CharlesMurphy12

EnigmaSoftware does not create legitimate products and the malwaretips.org website is trying to piggyback on the success of malwaretips.com.

However, malwaretips.com has had trouble with malware in the past. Back in the day they were blacklisted by Google and the site was inaccessible on Chrome because of it. Google is not going to lie about what websites contain malware and trojans. The fact that malwaretips.com contains malware now is alarming, but nothing new. I just wouldn't go there or take them seriously as an internet security blog and forum.

I agree that the articles on malwaretips.com are garbage compared to other security blogs. They are copied and pasted. The name of the alleged infection are the only things they replace. This to me is very concerning as many pieces of adware and unwanted programs are different so they should contain different analysis and instructions. I do find that this causes them to publish a lot of false information and that's not good.

About the "fake" social media accounts. I have noticed that too and don't think that any realistic website would ever pull such a blackhat move.

Bleeping Computer's hosted programs for download are trustworthy, safe and malware-free. However depending on the product some anti-virus software and other security scanners may flag certain programs as a threat for a variety of reasons when that is not the case. In these instances the detection is a "false positive" and can be ignored.

Most of the well known specialized tools we use as malware fighters are written by experts/Security Colleagues at various security forums like Bleeping Computer, TechSupport, GeeksToGo, SypwareInfo and other similar sites so they can be trusted...this includes any program hosted by BC for download. Unfortunately, many of these tools (or their embedded files) are repeatedly falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software.

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and enter information on sign-up forms. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results sometimes into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide. Bleeping Computer has been incorrectly rated from time to time....see this discussion topic.

Rest assured our Security Colleagues are trustworthy and all the programs hosted for downloading at BleepingComputer are malware-free and perfectly safe to use.

The problem is really with the anti-virus vendors who keep targeting these specialized tools/programs for various reasons and NOT with the tools themselves. We can inform the developers but they have encountered this issue many times before and in most cases there isn't much they can do about it. Once the detection is reported to the anti-virus vendor, they are usually quick to fix it by releasing an updated definition database.

SpyHunter, see analysis report

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/0faed3e23c9fe9674413e0bcacbb6f2f3d670658b053bff8d263e27af720f144/analysis/1429884007/

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/753b82d4741d74a768fbaa9e4399f2a01d9fb83417d8ffcf75ac57bed3b1c9ba/analysis/1429873690/

Antiy-AVL Malware site
Malc0de Database Malicious site
Websense ThreatSeeker Malicious site

Thanks,
Dinesh