A JAVA exploit trojan / virus nuked my "security service" and BITS services, killing Windows update - how to recover them?

I got infected by a JAVA exploit trojan / virus, and it nuked my "security service" and BITS service, and a couple of others, so now "windows update" and Ms Home Security Essentials can't run. I am fairly sure I've cleaned the malware off, but how to I get those services back? I've tried a system restore, but none of the restore points work. Using a recovery CD for my WHS doesn't find my server (that's a separate issue), and at the time I can't find my Win 7 disks. I'm on a "home-brew" machine, so there is no manufacturer to call unless I'm talking to myself. Win7 64-bit.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 539 Applies to:
Answer
If you're willing to use the WHS recovery disc to restore from your Home Server, your issue is that you are using Windows 7 x64 and the WHS recovery disc is trying to use the wrong network driver -- it needs the x86 driver for your network card.
Download the driver for your NIC from the manufacturer and put it on a USB flash drive.

-steve
^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security), Moderator Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.